CHAPTER EIGHT

FEBRUARY 27
ANNA

"Hey Anna, can you come in for another shift? 2 of the nurses came down with the flu, and the rest aren't picking up. We're really short staffed." Mandy asks at the other end of the phone,

I sigh, "Okay, I'll try to be there in 30."

"Thank you! Thank you! I'll see you in a bit!" She hangs up.

I bang my head softly against my coffee table and groan.

I pick my phone back up and call Mrs. Ricci.

"Hey sweetie, did you need anything?"

"I'm sorry to call so last minute, but do you think you can pick up Matteo right now? I got called in for a work emergency."

"I can't right now, but I know the boys will be upstairs soon. You can leave him with Amelia, and I'll pick him up in about 3 hours."

"Thank you! I'll bring him up there now."

"Don't sweat it sweetie." She hangs up.

I rush to change into my scrubs and pack Matteo's bag. Grabbing him, I rush upstairs and ring her doorbell.

The second she opens the door, she asks, "Hey what's wrong?"

I rushed out, "They called me in for an emergency, can you watch him for a bit? Mrs. Ricci says she can pick him up in a few hours."

"Of course!" She squats down to Matteo, "I have toys for you in the living room."

He lets go of my hand and runs straight for the living room.

"Thank you so much for doing this at the last minute."

She gives me a reassuring smile, "Don't worry about it Anna. We're basically family."

I give her a grateful smile, looking over her shoulder for Matteo.

She waves me off, "Go. I got it handled."

I let out another "thank you" and rushed off to the elevator.

ANTHONY

Walking up the stairway to Nico's and Amelia's apartment, I wait at their door after I ring the doorbell.

Amelia opens the door, she deadpanned, "You just missed Anna."

My shoulders slump and I pout, "Again? Are you sure she's even real? How is it possible I still haven't met her."

She shrugs her shoulders, "Well Matteo is here."

My mood instantly lifts at his name. I push past her and make a run for the living room, picking him up, and tossing him into the air. Tickling his sides once I catch him. "Hey little man, did you miss me?"

He giggles out a "Yes!"

"I still can't believe you're his favorite." Amelia says from behind me.

I smirk at her, "I can."

"I'm his god mom! I was there for every second of his birth!" She points a finger at him.

I burst out laughing, "I can't help it if the kid loves me." Sticking my tongue out at her.

She pouts and kicks Nico, he turns around and asks, "What baby?"

"Do something." She pouts at him.

He looks over at me, and back at her trying to stifle his smile, "What do you want me to do?"

"Get rid of him." She argues.

Nico laughs as he gets up to approach me.

I pull the giggling Matteo in front of me and yell, "Save me Matteo!"