CHAPTER THREE

ANNA

After fainting at the hospital, the director will only allow me to work 8 hour shifts in fear of me fainting during a shift. All my coworkers have come together and made me a healthy snack basket at work to make sure I never go hungry, and they've all been strict about me taking mandatory breaks. Now that I have more free time, I'm extremely bored out of my mind. My thoughts are all consumed about the baby. I've been researching everything about pregnancies and babies. I'm making lists of things I'll need on my couch as my phone rings.

Picking up my phone without checking who it is, "Hello?"

"Stop picking up the phone without checking who it is! What if you have a stalker?" Amelia's voice rings out from the speakerphone.

I snort, "No one is going to stalk me, barely anyone even knows I exist."

"Exactly! You're the perfect victim for a stalker!"

I burst out laughing, "Fine, I'll be more careful next time. Good enough?"

"That doesn't make me feel any better."

"If I have one, you'll be the first to know, I promise. Now give me updates on your life!"

"Well for starters, my nightmares have come back full force since Nico left. I've been struggling to sleep so I asked my papa to find someone to teach me self defense."

"Ptsd can be a real bitch, but I'm glad you're finding ways to heal yourself."

"I also may have walked in on my bodyguard, Angelo and his boyfriend fucking in the pantry."

I gasp, "No!"

"Yes! I was so embarrassed, I couldn't look him in the eyes. But he hunted me down and we decided to be friends."

I giggle, but then it hits me, I need to tell her the news. It wouldn't be right for me to keep it a secret. She's been a good friend to me since I saved her life months ago. We've been talking on the phone every week, and now's my chance. I sigh. "So I have to tell you something, but please don't freak out on me."

"I'm definitely thinking of the worst now." She teases.

A little terrified of her reaction, "Please don't freak out."

"Anna what's wrong?" I hear the concern in her voice.

Shutting my eyes and in a rushed whisper, "I'm pregnant."

It's silent for the longest minute, and it's scaring me. I panic, "I don't even know what I'm going to do. I don't even know who the father is!"

"What do you mean you don't know who the father is?!" I hear her panic.

I sigh, "I got really drunk and had a one night stand in Vegas a few months ago."

"What did you mean a few months ago? So how far along are you?"

Cringing, "About 5 months. I just found out after our last call. I passed out during one of my shifts, and found out when I woke up in a hospital bed. I've been so busy working to even realize the changes in my body."

"What do you want to do?"

"I'm going to keep him. I don't want him to grow up the way I did in foster homes. At least I have a secured job so I won't be financially struggling and I have some experience with babies. So I guess it won't be too bad?"

"It's a boy?" I hear her excitement.

"Yeah I found out during the ultrasound. He's a healthy boy." I smile as I rub my belly.