Stranger

His nerves had been burning since the moment he saw his brother again. A blizzard of confusion encasing his mind. His thoughts shrouded beneath memories he couldn't decipher, couldn't tell apart from his memories. They were his memories. Of course they were. But some of them were just those he feared to much to remember. He didn't know what to think, what to feel. They belonged to a part of him he wished to forget, to erase even. And still, he knew all to well that he could never, not even if took all of him.

Yukio tried to cut ties with the past a long time ago. Shortly after Rin was taken, he swore himself to become stronger. Stronger than Rin, than himself, than everyone else. He swore that he would become independent, not relying on anyone else in the future. Because he thought it was the reason things weren't going the way they should.

First the near death of Fujimoto, then Rin's outburst and finally his loss. And he was at fault too. Or at least that is what his mind told him.

And now that he thought he had developed so far, Rin is back, and everything is crumbling down.

Yukio didn't dare to step any closer to the white head than about 30 feet. And like that he followed far behind as Fujimoto led his brother
his brother? — towards the vehicle they arrived with about an hour prior. Luckily it was spacious and large enough to fit all of the group in the seats, including the past exwires, his father, Rin and Yukio himself.

Throughout their journey he consistently spaced out for some time periods. Yukio wasn't paying attention to any conversation at all, not even as he name was mentioned in passing or as they started discussing where to go next and what to do. He was too tangled up in his thoughts to notice. Consequently he wasn't aware of the fact that the car was driving towards the place which filled his childhood memories.

——————————

The blood oozed from his clothes and body as he was seated between Fujimoto and Shima. The priest had insisted on directly accompanying Rin on the way towards the monastery and since the others were old enough and had already received a drivers license driving wouldn't be a problem.
Obviously to all of them it seemed to be the best solution possible; you couldn't just leave a bloodied, murdering and unpredictable high class demon in your car next to a few fresh born exorcists who had no idea of any pedagogical stuff.

Of course Fujimoto himself was not flawless, not around such measures or any others. But still, Shiro swore to himself that if Rin was somewhere somehow still alive, he would safe him with everything he had. No matter the cost. He owed his son that much. And there he was, looking a bit stiff and worried as Rin just sank into the seat. It appeared as if Rin was either completely zoned out or thinking, or maybe he himself wasn't sure as well. Shiro didn't know if he should be grateful or worried regarding such a state. Whatever was going through his head was probably something he might never know.

And the worst thing was, that throughout the whole ride, barely anyone uttered more than a few spare words, if they spoke at all. The atmosphere was so tense in the van that Shiro just wished to arrive home soon. Any unnecessary minutes outside might become a risk at some point. For both them and Rin.

After about 15 minutes away from their destination, Rin seems to cool off a bit. His posture not so stiff and his eyes not so unfocused anymore. Slowly, he took in the surrounding area they passed by. It was almost as if recognition started to form in his eyes....almost.

"Where are we going?"

His voice cut through the tension created in the vehicle. Sharp, cold and unforgiving.

"We are taking you to safety. The Vatican must not know of your survival. And any less of your return. That would make things way worse than they already are."