chapter forty-six

Cole's POV

"Bro you made it!" Zane said as I walked into the backyard of his house after pushing through the crowded living room, "drink my friend?"

"Not right now man," I replied as I sat on the chair next to Eli who had Rebecca in his lap, "do you think you invited enough people?"

"I actually didn't invite any of these people," Zane laughed motioning around the backyard at the scatter of people, some from our school over the last few years, some I had never seen before, "they just started showing up and bringing drinks so I said fuck it."

"Free beer is free beer," Eli interjected, clinking his beer bottle with Zane's, "where's Brooke?"

"I dunno man," I shrugged as I pulled my phone out to check it for what seemed like the hundredth time, "she hasn't talked to me much today."

"She'll be here in a bit," Zane said matter of factly, "she went car shopping today with her stepdad."

"I wonder what she got," I said, testing to see if she had told Zane. I knew they were best friends even before we knew each other but I couldn't help but be a bit jealous.

"As long as it's not a Prius I don't really care," Zane laughed taking a drink, "whatever it is I'm sure she'll want to take you for a ride."

"That's probably not the only thing she'll want to ride," Rebecca snorted as I shot her a bird.

"Oh Cole was that for me?" an annoying voice asked behind me as I felt hands on my shoulders, "I would gladly take you up on that."

"Go away Maci," I said as I sat up making her hands fall off my shoulders.

"That's not what you were saying a month ago," she said as she moved beside me and bent down so her face was close to mine and her ass was all but in Zane's face when her too short skirt failed to cover what every guy in the county has had a piece of, "you were asking for more not too long ago. Besides you should know your little girlfriend was out on a date with a very hot older man."

"Whatever you say Maci," I said as I rolled my eyes and dismissed her, "Brooke isn't a whore like you."

"I have proof," she said as she pulled up a picture on her phone, "look Cole. They're even holding hands and she's laughing at him. So since she can't keep her pants on, why should you?"

"Because I have standards," I said as Maci put her hands on my thighs and leaned her face so close to mine I could smell the cigarette still burning on her breath as I leaned back in my chair trying to get away but instead getting pinned.

"Trust me Cole," she whispered, licking her lips, "I am way more fun than that stuck up prude."

"Maci I think you should go," Rebecca said, sitting up off of Eli's lap to make a verbal attempt to get her off of me without starting a fight, "like go away. Now."

"This doesn't involve you," Maci snapped her head and spat at Rebecca who was looking past her toward the house over my shoulder.

"Okay well I tried to warn you," Rebecca sat back against Eli who had the matching smirk on his face.

I turned my head to look in the direction of Rebecca's stare and locked eyes with Brooke.

Brooke's POV

As soon as I was done signing the papers for my new ride and giving Rob yet another hug I jumped in my driver's seat and grabbed my phone to call Kacen. I wanted to call Cole but I didn't trust myself not to ruin the surprise I had planned. Right before I hit the call button Anthony appreard and tapped on my window.