Chapter 5

The relaxed feeling Dream felt quickly morphed into shock. 

He stayed still for a solid three minutes. His mouth and eye lights were wide open. His body was shaking. And he felt tears in his eye sockets. 

On the couch was a figure he remembered so well. A monster he mourned for almost as much as his brother Nightmare. He was clearly shocked to see him as well. 

He took a step forward. 

Without hesitation, he ran up and pulled Ink off the couch and into a hug. His arms were around the much smaller monster, and tears fell freely. 

He felt Ink’s arms wrap around his waist.

Was this real? Was he hallucinating? Dreaming? No, this felt real. How? How was he here? 

He heard himself sob and cry, unable to keep composed. He must be freaking Blue out, but right now it didn’t matter. He could explain later. All that mattered right now was the skeleton in his arms, the monster who truly cared. He could protect him now, he was stronger, he no longer was a small child, naive to the world. He would care for him, like he deserved. 

---

They moved to the couch. Dream was holding Ink like a stuffed toy, which Ink clearly didn’t mind. In fact, Ink fell asleep in his arms. He was afraid that the second he would let go, Ink would disappear. 

“Dream, do you…know Ink?” Blue asked, unsure of himself. He had never seen Dream cry to that extent, actually, he had never seen him cry before. Dream seemed to finally calm down, and he sighed to himself. 

“I do know him, yes. It’s been so long since I've seen him.” Dream looked conflicted. “I've known him since I was 6.” Blue and Carrot both blinked, they both knew of Dream’s age. They came to the conclusion that they had known each other for a long time. 

“However, something isn’t right…” Dream suddenly announced. He had been blinded by his joy and disbelief that he had forgotten all reason. Ink shouldn’t be here. He was announced deceased years ago. Was this someone pretending to be Ink? He had a bad taste in his mouth after that thought. 

“What do you mean?” Blue asked, snapping him out of his thoughts.

Right, Blue’s Au was created after years of Ink being dead. And the reveal of other universes came long after its creation. They likely wouldn't know. 

“I need to tell you something about Ink…” Both brothers’ suddenly sat up at the mention of Ink’s name, even Carrot, who was previously lying down on the couch uninterested(at least he acted like it, he could tell from his aura that he was worried too). 

“Years ago, a hero lived. He protected the universes and timelines before anyone even knew of his existence. When they found out, they labeled him as their protector, it was fitting. His job, his purpose, was to protect. They had many stories surrounding him. His behavior, his abilities, his power. In their eyes, he was unbeatable. Immortal. However, they were wrong… Oh so wrong. One day, he was found dead. Nothing but a pile of clothes and a giant paintbrush. Everyone was distraught, confused, and pained. They held a funeral. Two twins were especially upset. The protector had been a major monster in their lives, and he would not be coming back."

“And that protector was Ink.”

He could feel both brother’s disbelief through their auras. They were as confused as he. 

“Does that mean…that’s not Ink? Are they pretending to be him!?” Blue asked with urgency and fear. 

“I’m not sure…” He replied, and it was true. He had no idea if this was the real Ink. If it was, why hadn’t he come back sooner? If it wasn’t, what were they gaining from this? Was it a trap to lower their guards? 

ACK!...

He felt a sharp pain in his soul, an indication that negativity had unnaturualy risen. He stood up quickly, causing Ink to fall onto the ground. He went through a portal, knowing Blue was coming soon. Ink just layed on the ground in shock of being woken up. Blue stood up after him. 

“I have to go”

---

“Ink, no! Stay!” 

Blue was currently trying to convince Ink to stay in the house. When he tried to leave he noticed Ink went after him. He kept on picking Ink up and continuously placing him next to Carrot on the couch. 

“It’s dangerous!” Blue tried to inform him, Ink already looked done with the conversation. 

“Brother grab him” 

Ink perked up. 

“Wai-”

Carrot wrapped his arms around Ink. “Don’t worry bro, I won’t let him go” Ink looked at Carrot with a betrayed expression. 

“Good! I have to go help Dream” Blue summoned a portal. 

If only he knew Ink was truly determined to go.