XXViii| Christmas...present?

"He WHAT?"

Mira Atkinson wished she'd grown up in a family like Lando's

No, she wasn't talking about the money they held or even the fact that Lando still had his parents around while she didn't.

She could clearly see how much Lando's parents cared for them all and were generally happy they were doing well in life. Lando's dad believed in him enough to throw money at a sport there was no guarantee he'd end up in, or the fact he was there to see was Oliver was up to, that Flo was safe while showjumping and Cisca were happy. 

They were always around each other during the holiday and when they weren't, there were calls and Facetime. They all understood each other and every single one of them welcomed Mira into their family without a second thought.

Mira didn't really have that.

She'd always have Luke, who would ensure she was happy and safe in life. He made an effort to get to know Lando when they were together. He clearly loved Mira...but Mike wasn't always like that. It felt more like he wanted Mira to be 'tamed' rather than happy and living the life she wanted. He only wanted to know if she was physically healthy and he made no effort with Lando. 

She wasn't blind to it but she also didn't want to get into any arguments. What kind of family was it when she was terrified of standing her ground around her brother? That she felt she couldn't have an opinion? It was exhausting. 

That's what she had taken away from the weeks she spent with the Norris'. They weren't planning on staying for as long as they did but Lando's mum had guilt-tripped them into it.

It meant that she also stayed there for New Year's Eve, something the Norris family did very well.

"How was your Christmas?" questioned Luke.

He had Facetimed his sister and was sitting with Marco at his side. They both looked like they'd had a nice time as well and Marco had a plate of cookies in front of him.

"It was amazing, Lando's family are so nice," said Mira with a smile. "Lando and I dressed up Loki."

"What did Lando buy you?" Marco asked curiously. 

"It better have been family-friendly," Luke growled. "Because I swear to god, if he brought you something like lingerie—"

"He didn't," Mira laughed. "Not that it's your business if he had done but for your information, he brought me another cat—"

"He WHAT?"

That's right.

Lando Norris appeared to be a big sweet baby at heart and decided there was nothing he could get Mira that she either didn't have or had much meaning. However, they both adored Loki and Mira was at her happiest when she had any type of cat around.