Chapter 2: The Encounter

****Becky's POV***

[I don't know where I went wrong. I don't know what I did that wasn't enough for you. I'm sorry for not being physically present for you. I apologize if I'm disappointed that you're giving up on the love we had. But Marcus, I wish you all the happiness in the world because I love you so much, and that's why I'm letting you go.]

I remember the summer of 2019 when I brought Marcus home to meet my parents. Initially, my dad didn't like him due to the small tattoo on his wrist. I recall how he would come over to our house every Sunday to spend time with my dad and have a couple of beers, even though he didn't like to drink alcohol. He would listen to all my dad's stories and rants, and how he is so proud of me. But what truly made me fall deeply in love with him was when I quietly entered the living room around midnight and heard him sobbing, saying, "Sir, I can't imagine my life without her. Sir, I promise to take care of her and never break her heart." Eventually, you convinced my dad that your intentions were genuine.

Perhaps he tried his best to keep his promise, but maybe it's true that promises are meant to be broken. And that's why love disappoints me. Why do we have to fight for love only to give it up afterwards?

Breakups suck. Because I don't know if he's hurting the way I am hurting. Maybe not, because if he were, if leaving me were too painful, then he wouldn't have left.

It has been two days since I was discharged from the hospital. The days at home have been passing slowly. Mom and dad are, as usual, often away.

It has been five days since I last worked, and I haven't felt this relaxed in a while. No need to worry about catching up with the schedule or dealing with annoying people. I can't even remember the last time I gazed into the vast nothingness, with my thoughts wandering in it's own universe.

*Bleep!*

A notification pops up on my phone. It's a message from Trisha.

[Hey, I know you're still resting. I hope you're feeling better now. I just wanted to inform you that we have a full-day event on Tuesday. Can't wait to see you soon. Take care.]

I let out a deep sigh and take a sip from my cup of hot chocolate as I gaze out the window of our condo. I see a couple of kids playing with the brightest smiles I've seen in a while. When I was a child, I used to dream of growing up so I could do things without needing my parents' permission. I wanted to stay up all night, stock my own fridge with ice cream, read books, and watch series until my eyes grew tired. I never imagined that growing up would be this difficult. I never thought it would be so painful.

                   ***Freen's POV***

"Alright, let's see. My balance is sitting at $35,815. Still a long wag to go, Freen, but you've already made some impressive progress," I said, meticulously counting today's sales.

Debt. It's been my enemy for years now. Although I still have that $38,815 balance hanging over my head, it's a major achievement for me. It all began with a hefty $80,000 burden. My father borrowed money from a friend to launch a business that ultimately crashed and burned. He's vanished now, hiding from the world for the past two years. Unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice but to pay off his debts since we've been receiving death threats from the creditors.

Life hasn't been kind to me since childhood, and it's disheartening that things haven't become any easier as I've grown older. Sometimes, I just want to break down and yell,and throw everything in sight. I want the world to know that I'm not okay, that I have a dream, a goal I've been tirelessly striving for, yet it feels as though I'm no closer to reaching it. Why was I born into a poor family? Why do I have a dad who's a failure? Why must I bear the weight of his mistakes?