〔 二十四 〕 the ghosts in the spring

In the spring, sitting on a shade of a tree,

she saw a cloud coming out from the mountains far, far away. She reached out and grabbed that cloud as if she was in a daydream, only managing to grab the air instead. She knew that she was living and breathing in this reality, but all her life, it was as if she had lived her life in a constant state of dreaming—living in a make-believe land.

Nothing is lasting in this world.

That was why she always had this feeling of being distant from the people she was with.

A single joy or even sorrow would eventually fade after some time.

It was just prosaic state of mind—just as a ripple made by a pebble that gradually merged with the smooth surface of the water . . .

Just like how snow would melt and spring would descend.

From that point on, it had been four to five months of deep snow and biting temperatures reigned over the town, a new season had came:

Spring.

Another spring had arrived, and Akane was trying to apprehend how days could easily vanish as she walked too slow.

Within the span of winter, Akane marvelously learned the human anatomy and most especially the medical ninjutsu. But she couldn't practice much. During those times, she only made cough and fever medicines . . . There was no significant practice when it came to surgery or some sorts—it was very thing she badly wanted to learn.

And so, everything grew boring for her. Not until when Tsunade introduced her the concept of the Strength of the Hundred Seal.

"I know you can do it;" encouraged her doctor teacher, "your ancestor, Mito Uzumaki—which is also my grandmother—was the first user of it."

Akane was well-informed about the Byakugō, but it didn't sound appealing to her. She couldn't risk her three years to store a huge amount of chakra when she could do lots of things in those years. Besides, she had ways how to increase her chakra now. She only wanted to study medical ninjutsu was because biology interested her.

Weighing her decisions, she went in the forest to have a clear mind. Akane even brought Tsunade's pet Tonton—having her would relieve some of her wearies, because for some reasons, the kawaii piglet could understand human speech.

Oh, right . . . Ninja pets exist.

"How about we go now?" Akane asked her, smiling.

Tonton only responded with smol "buhi" sounds, implying her yes.

Akane could tell if it was going to rain, and today, it would, thus going back to their apartment now before they would get caught into it.