〔 二十六 〕 eulogy for the still water

the cherry blossoms' inflorescence could only last for a short while,

thus reminding Akane how transient life was.

She loved what she was seeing as she walked around the impressive display of the cherry blossom trees. Akane searched for every bud that was about to bloom and touched everything she could get her hands on. The sunlight striking it felt different and her senses failed to capture that kind of feeling.

For Akane, she loved to pay attention to her senses: hearing the gentle gales, the fragile texture of each petal, and the subtle, floral scent of freshness. She would notice everything, even the variation of time—on how it slowed in this quintessential moment.

Three years had already passed, and the path going back to the village was like a labyrinth; taking that meandering path in order to reach the very gates of Konoha. She was with Jiraiya earlier upon arriving, but he needed to report to the Hokage, and now she was left here in forest. They reached the village in the late afternoon; Akane having lots of stopovers to wonder at the beauty of the nature: the very complexity of the path that created a sense of mystery and curiosity for the young lady, because each new turn revealed a new moment, a hidden gem, and an artistry behind every grand detail this world had to offer.

It was like getting lost, and getting found—just being blindly led by her feet.

There was something poetic from it; as time stayed still, she was quietly witnessing the fleeting seconds while noticing the things that were usually went unnoticed. Hearing the singing birds settling on the branches, or chasing after a ladybug to another, or watching how the shadows transitioned against the constant forward movement of time, or just simply feeling the growing soft moss under her fingertips.

It was a moment of appreciation and she could only be immersed by it . . .

"WAH!"

"KYAAAAH!!"

As Akane fell on her behind, she was startled by the should in front of her and let out a girlish scream.

Synchronous with that, someone burst out laughing!

"You should have seen your face, Akane!"

Akane's heart was pounding so hard and was quite ashamed, because she wasn't the type of person who'd get a jumpscare.

"Not funny, Shisui-san . . !" she whined, holding herself not to threw him a punch.

He always does something like that—sneaking around to give me some mini heart attacks.

Oh, wait . . .

Shisui-san?

Akane looked at what was in front of her once again, because it registered ever so slowly in her consciousness. And yes, there he was, Shisui in flesh—still laughing while holding his tummy.