〔 十四 〕 leaves of the corpse flower

Things were beginning to pull together that summer

She first began to realize.

Three days after the attempted murder incident, Hiruzen Sarutobithe Third Hokage—called Akane for an interrogation. He was so distressed, as well the others, at the sudden abduction of the girl, even the serial murders it brought throughout the Konohagakure.

"Good grief, young lass," said the stately man, who was widely known for the third man who held the title as Shinobi no Kami, "do you know how high the stakes you've gotten yourself in to?"

"You speak the truth, Sandaime-sama," agreed the Jōnin Commander, Shikaku Nara. "You shouldn't be reckless, leading yourself into danger."

The young lass looked upon the panels, so serious and strict, narrowed faces so tight. It was quite true, they had a very severe mindset of the way things should be, an opinion with which the little girl didn't necessarily disagree. Of course, she said nothing, for in the society it was said that a higher-up was the head of a community. Upon this stand, she was therefore not allowed to comment, particularly amongst a company of leaders.

"Well, at least, we could be grateful that nothing bad happened to her," spoke Inoichi Yamanaka, still with his friendly and calm exterior. "Thanks to Kakashi, Shisui, and Itachi, yes?"

Akane looked back, for the two teenage guys were present in this meeting. Shisui noticed her, then he smiled. The little girl reflected the smile, although a little reserved. Kakashi remained deadpanned. And once she perceived Itachi, her lips stretched into a bigger smile that reached her eyes, which Itachi graciously returned.

Itachi was able to attend, for he was a genin already.

Once the elders started to speak, she faced them again and her facial expression went back to default.

"The perpetrator, Ayase Ishizaki, got captured and sentenced to life imprisonment," informed the Hokage.

"This little runt is quite a troublemaker, huh?" Choza Akimichi laughed; he surely took a second on riling the kid.

She only let out a small huff and paid her attention to the Third Hokage.

"As we're about to say," Hiruzen Sarutobi spoke. "Since Shisui and Itachi knew about Akane, then I expect that you two to keep it—as per usual—a secret."

And even though his expression was even, a little smile creased on the corner of his mild brown brows. He hadn't seen the little girl this lively now that she had reunited with her dear friends.

They had talked about this, along with his aides—Ino-Shika-Cho—and decided to let the two Uchiha know about her. They didn't intend to let her grow alone without friends. And with them by her side, it could cut off her innocent recklessness.