〔 十二 〕 horror of the void

There was an inclemency in her

There was an inclemency in her . . .

. . . called the wilderness of her soul.

Kyo's curiosity was in peak.

As she went to the herbal medicine store promptly. Before going in, she hid behind the front door of the store and checked her clone. Her clone noticed her and quickly went outside. Kyo made the clone disappear, then went inside by pushing the door as the bell rang.

The store was made out of light materials: the floor was made out of hardwood, whilst the wall was concreted. The sign outside was old, but legible in a way. The windows were clean, as well as the products displayed on the shelves—they were organized by themes or colors, very artistically arranged.

The owner of the store was Ume Ikeda. She was mostly stationed at the counter, guarding her products. Due to her age, her flesh had gotten old and strength feebled, but she was the kind of old lady that could still run the store and make medicines.

"Ume--san," she called, sitting on the next chair of the counter.

"What's it?" answered the old woman, panning her head towards the kid.

"Do you know what kind of plant is this?" Then the girl showed it to her.

The store-owner pushed her eyeglasses up, squinting her eyes to see better. Once this type of plant registered on the old lady's mind . . .

"Gracious heav'ns!" Ume Ikeda exclaimed. With a profound horror, she slapped the little girl's hand, making the plant to slip out of her grasp and fall on the floor.

"-san! What's wrong with you?" nagged Kyo, pouting.

"What d'ya mean what's wrong with me?" returned the old lady, her blood rising to her head. "Ya stinkin' brat! Are ya tryna kill me?"

Kyo tilted her head. "Why would I kill you, -san?"

"The plant yer carryin', 'tis very poisonous!"

"Oh, that's why I'm asking . . ." she innocently muttered. Then she got off the chair, grabbed transparent cellophane, picked the plant, and put it inside. "What does it called?"

"'Tis called hiyosu."

Hiyosu . . . she mentally noted.

"As expected of Ume--san," Kyo smiled, settling beside the old lady again, "you could easily identify a plant at first glance."