〔 七 〕 even tears withered

Then, there was this raven, watching, sitting lonely

Itachi carried out his promise.

The time when he got reunited with his mother, a boulder was tossed into the air by Nine Tails, it shattered near their house, and the pieces danced above their heads. One chunk was falling toward his mother's.

Quickly, Itachi leaped high, responding and moving towards the chunk. He had been training, a lot that he could knead his chakra properly.

The rock slammed into Itachi's fist, and exploded with a shriek. Showered in a rain of pebbles, he landed soundlessly on the ground.

To be strong and be able to protect—that was his promise.

With his little brother on his mother's arms, they both escaped from the raging assault of the Kyūbi.

Immediately, almost instinctively, there was a great mass of them—the residents of Konohagakure. So many, thousands might even, rushing into the street like floodwaters, wanting to reach the evacuation shelters.

A dull pain raced deep into his eyes. Although they hadn't run far, he was feeling exhausted already and his breathing patterns were not unison.

It was like a nightmare of the war. All of the unfortunate were knocked down, fell to the ground nearly as one with the debris—man atop woman, atop grandfather, atop child.

It was an awful sight, wrenching his heart in most profound pain.

Wailing and sobbing that bubbled up all around him. Looking around, he saw a carpet of bodies. A young girl screamed to the heavens as she reached for her trampled mother. An old man tried to get up, stumbled, and fell again. Turning and looking back, he saw many people now fleeing, running for their lives.

Waves of power emerged behind his eyeballs, all of the sudden. He felt like the world was dyed crimson for a moment, but the sensation quickly subsided.

"Itachi?" His mom called, noticing the amiss about her son's actions.

"I'm all right, kā-san." He dismissed right away and focus his attention on what was in front.

As they escaped from the massive violence of Nine Tails, from the bottom of his heart, he prayed for the strength to stop this dissonance.

Despite this havoc, his goal never burned out. Instead, it blazed up even more. He wanted to be a strong ninja, so strong that he could bring peace.

Not too long when they arrived at the shelters. A sense of relief rendered his face. They had arrived here safe, everything should be all right now.

Then, suddenly, everything became oddly quiet. For the briefest of moments, there was nothing.