Chapter 20 - Can you out-bully a bully?

The first day of school was rapidly approaching, packing all the necessary books I felt ready for everything to come. I couldn't say the same thing about Luz though, she was kinda bummed out since she woke up. I knew school wasn't her favorite place to be but I had no idea that it was to such an extent. I wish I could cheer her up, but nothing seemed to work.

After breakfast it was time for the moment of truth, I grabbed my backpack and went outside. For the first day, Camila decided to drive us to school but she said that later on we will have to go by bus. For once, I didn't mind the car ride, I got used to them, but buses on the other handed still creeped me out. All those people squeezed together... It didn't feel very safe to me.

For the whole ride, Luz was gazing out her window without saying a word, while I tried to chat with Camila. When we reached the school we grabbed our backpacks and got out of the car. Luz's mom waved us for the last goodbye and then drove off. It was time for a new chapter, human school, probably the last place I expected myself to ever attend or even visit.

The inside was different than when we came to see the principal, much more crowded and alive. Maybe the slight change of pace will suit me, for most of my time in the human realm I was sitting at Luz's home with only small glimpses of social life. I tried my best not to lose Luz out of my sight, I knew my locker was next to hers, but I had no idea where her locker was. When I finally got through the crowd I saw Luz standing by her locker when some blonde guy approached her.

"Back at school Luzer? I hoped you finally took my advice and got lost permanently."

"Hi Jamie, nice to see you too." She answered quietly. I stood there shocked, trying to comprehend what I was witnessing right now.

"Seems you didn't get it after all so let me repeat myself. Get lost weirdo, we don't need freaks like you in this school. Come on, you can't even go missing properly, pathetic."

Luz simply stood there with her head down, listening to those awful things. Now I understand why she didn't want to go back. However I couldn't stand here and do nothing, it was time to step in.

"Hey you, blondie, I think you got lost a little, we are all so sorry your dad went missing and didn't teach you manners, but projecting your own problems on others is sad." It was time to hoover my meaner side a little.

He looked at me stunned but quickly regain his composure. "You are new, right? Let me tell you something, and this is your last warning. Here, you don't talk to people like that, unless it's Luz Noceda, so let me pretend you were talking to her."

"Don't worry, I made no mistake with who I was talking to, but I can emphasize it a little more since you don't seem to grasp it. I was talking to Jasper or Jamie, I don't care what your name is, understood?"

"Oh, you little..."

"Hold on a second, I did not finish with you yet and it is impolite to interrupt. Since figurative speech does not seem to be your strong side I will make myself clear. If you talk shit about Luz, or actually anyone else, we won't talk so nicely anymore."

"Are you kidding me? You must be, right? I could wipe the floor with you, bitch."

"Highly doubt it, by the way, language. Now, bye, I have better things to do than chatter with smooth brains. Come on Luz, let's go." I grabbed Luz's hand and we went on our way, the guy was still threatening us but I decided to simply ignore him, if necessary, I will deal with him later.

I looked at Luz and asked; "Where to now? I have no idea where our first lesson is."

"Amity, you didn't have to, you shouldn't have done that, he will make your life here miserable, everyone likes him, everyone believes him, and-, and..."