Chapter 33 - Idle in the Void

There was no way in the world it was her... Though the hair, everything. The problem was she wasn't fighting the coven scouts, she was commanding them. It couldn't be...

"Amity!" I yelled against my better judgment, and it didn't come as a surprise, I've been spotted. She looked me deep in the eyes. It was alright, but something was different... her eyes, weren't amber anymore, they were azure blue. Something about her was off, I wanted to get the hell out of there, but I just couldn't.

"Hello, human." She said without breaking the eye contact. It sent a chill down my spine, no one has spoken to me like this in a long time. It brought back the worst memories. "Surprised to see me?" she said with a diabolical smirk.

"I... What...?"

"Today is your lucky day, you won't be destroyed right now, much to my disappointment," Amity said without a hint of emotion in her voice.

"Ami, what happened to you?"

"You left me! That's what." She broke the calm persona for the first time. "Luckily my parents gave me a second chance to obliterate you and this pathetic rebellion of yours."

I stood there speechless, unable to move. Before I noticed, I got apprehended by two guards. Normally such a thing would have never happened to me...

They brought me closer to her and got me on my knees.

"So close," Amity said, touching my face, "however your time is yet to come. Firstly you've got the amazing opportunity to experience the annihilation of your precious Bonesborough." There was no end to the utter shock I was in. What did she mean by the annihilation of Bonesborough? I tried my best to find some words to answer, but there were none.

"Okay everyone, wrap up." Amity yelled, gesturing to the guards, "Unfortunately for you, transport is not included." She said while kneeling next to me. "Don't be late." She said, drawing a spell circle in the air, and suddenly everything around me went away.

I woke up with the worst migraine of my life, not sure if it was a dream or not. Nonetheless, I couldn't risk it, I had to warn Eda. I slowly stood up, trying to orient myself. When I regained control of my body I headed back toward town's square.

It took me a while to reach it in my condition, but when I got there finding Eda wasn't a problem. She was helping Willow with the remnants of coven scouts. Without wasting a second I ran to them, but almost tripped on my way, efficiently getting their attention.

"Luz, what happened? You look awful." Willow asked.

"It's- It's- I saw- I saw Amity." I said, panting.

"What?!" Eda and Willow said simultaneously. "Luz, slow down, take a seat." Eda said.

I did as instructed, it took me a minute to catch my breath but I was finally ready to tell them what happened. When I finished they were as shocked as I was when I saw Amity for the first time. We had to figure out a plan of action, but first, we had to confirm if what I saw was true. Eda tried getting in contact with Raine but to no avail, Gus also wasn't answering Willow's messages. That was when we started to worry a little, but tried our best to remain optimistic.

After going through almost all of Willow's contacts she got an answer, it came from her classmate and confirmed the worst. Bonesborough was under heavy attack from the emperor's coven while we were stranded on the other side of the Isles. We played right into their hands, sending everything after a relatively small-scale attack. I guess that was what being overconfident brought on us.

We had to get back ASAP, though Palismen could only fly so fast. At least we had some time to come up with a plan and to talk through the events of today.