susannah

I woke up in Conrad's bed, but he's no where to be seen. I pick up my phone, and see a text from him.

I smile at the text, before getting up and going to my room to get ready.

Eventually I go downstairs, and find Steven, my mom, and Jer in the kitchen.

"Morning Vals." Jer smiles.

"Morning." I smile. "Where's Belly?"

"Belly is sleeping." My mom smiles.

I hear the door open, and Conrad and Susannah walks in, but something was off. They both had been crying.

Susannah went into the kitchen, and I went into the entryway where it was just me and Conrad, and he throws himself into my arms.

"Talk to me Connie." I say.

"She found out." He sobs.

"That you know?" I ask, and he just nods as he cries in my arms.

"We got into an argument and she asked why I was being so mean recently and so just told her." He cries.

"I'm so sorry Conrad." I sigh. "I know this isn't how you wanted to tell her."

Conrad eventually calms down, and we go into the kitchen, and everyone is sobbing.

"You knew this whole time? And you didn't tell me?" Jeremiah says to Conrad, and we look at each other.

"You knew too, didn't you?" Susannah asks as I nod. "Oh sweetheart."

"You both knew and didn't tell me?" Jeremiah asks as he gets up in my face

"We both know we just didn't want to ruin the summer for you and-" I start, but I'm stopped with Jeremiah slapping me across the face.

"Get your hands off my fucking girlfriend!" Conrad yells as he shoves Jeremiah, and punches him, and Jeremiah punches him back.

"Boys!" Susannah yells, and I pull Conrad off of Jeremiah, and Steven grabs Jeremiah, while Belly is clinged to my mom crying her eyes out.

"Connie stop." I say as I pull him back from him trying to go after Jeremiah.

His nose was bleeding, his eye was bruising, and he was still crying. Everyone was.

"She's my mom too Conrad." Jeremiah cries.

"Jeremiah they did this for you!" Steven yells.

"What? You're not even slightly phases that they never told us!?" Jeremiah yells.

"Yes i'm upset but I understand that they did it for us, so I'm glad they didn't ruin our summer! And just because you don't agree with their fucking choice doesn't mean you get to put your fucking hands on my sister!" He yells.

"Mom, why did you tell them and not us?" Jeremiah asks.

"I didn't know that they knew." Susannah cries.

"Mom was driving me to practice, and she got a text from Laurel, and asked me to respond. But the I scrolled up in their texts too far, and I found out." Conrad says quietly.

"Mom? You knew?" Belly asks.

"It was Susannah's wish to not tell you guys." My mom says

"I just wanted one more summer where everything was perfect with you guys." Susannah smiles with tears running down her face.

"Susannah, how about you talk to the boys alone." My mom says. "I'll take the girls and Steven upstairs."

"Okay." Susannah nods.

Me, my mom, Steven, and Belly all go up to my moms room.

"Val why didn't you tell me you knew?" My mom asks.

"Conrad asked me not too." I say.

"So you're putting your little boyfriend over your own mother?" She asks.

"Mom I-" I start.

"No." She scoffs. "I get it. He's just so much more important to you than your own family."

"Mom just stop! You're making it harder for all of us!" Steven yells. "If your daughter can't come to you for stuff that says something about you, not her. I mean have you even considered how fucking hard it could've been? To find out that the woman that was a second mother to her is dying?"

"I..." She hesitates.

"I mean you've done nothing, and I mean nothing to help her! And you know that she's been acting different, and you couldn't care less! Just running around with Cleveland! You know you're mad at her for leaving her family for a boy, but Conrad is our family. You left your best friend that you knew was dying of cancer for some writer that you met at a book store."

"Stop!" Belly begs. "Just stop fighting. Please."

"I'm sorry." My mom says as she tries to hug me.

"Stop." I say as I push her hands off of me.

"Val." She sighs.

"I'm going to my room." I say before walking out.

I go into my room, and Steven walks in behind me.

He shuts my door and just looks at me, and I throw myself into his arms. Steven was always there for me, no matter what.

Steven and I talked for a bit, and eventually he leaves me alone in my room.

It felt like the world was collapsing around me, but through all of it, I had Steven and Conrad.

As I laid down on my bed, staring up at the ceiling, my door flings open, and I spring up.

Conrad walks into my room and shuts the door behind him, and I stand up out of bed.

He walks over to me, and collapses in my arms.

I bring us down to the floor as he lays on me, clinging onto me as he sobs and screams.

My heart broke seeing the boy I loved so much cry.

"Please don't leave me." He sobs.

"I'll never leave you Connie, i'm staying right here." I say as I brush his hair with my hands. "It's okay."

He hyperventilates, and cries, and screams, and I couldn't do anything but just sit there with him.

"Listen to my breathing Connie." I say.

"I can't lose her." He sobs. "I won't ever be able to get over her."

"You don't need to Connie, you don't ever need to forget her in the past or get over her, you just need to accept it."

"I can't!" He sobs.

"It's gonna take time." I say softly.

"I love her so much." He sobs. "I can't lose her Valarie."

"You're not gonna lose her. She's still gonna be with you." I say.

All I wanted to do was cry. But I couldn't. I needed to help him.

"Please never leave me Vee I need you." He sobs in my arms, and I hold him closer to me.

"I'm never gonna leave you Conrad." I say, looking down at my infinity necklace. "You remember why you got me this necklace?"

"Yeah." He sniffles.

"Because you told me when I was twelve, that no matter what, you and I would be infinite." I say. "And that's always gonna be true."