last day in cousins

Today was my family's last day in Cousin's.

Before I go home to my friends, my house, and work.

I work at a local mall with my best friend, Mercedes Johnson, who goes by Merce.

I was currently in my room packing.

There's a knock on my door, and then it opens.

"Hi baby." Conrad smiles as he walks in.

"Hi Connie." I smile.

He stands behind me with his arms around my waist and his head on my head, as I folded clothes into a suitcase.

"I'll miss you." He sighs.

"I'll miss you too." I say sadly. "Can we call every night?"

"Of course." He smiles as he leans down and kisses my cheek.

"You excited to go off to college?" I ask. He was going to a college an hour away from Cousins.

"Yeah." He sighs. "I guess."

"I have a question." I say.

"I have an answer." He replies.

"So you know how you just love me so much?" I ask as he laughs.

"Yes, you can take a few of my hoodies with you." He laughs.

"Can I pick them out?" I ask.

"Of course." He smiles.

He takes my hand, and leads me to his room.

I go to his closet and pick out three hoodies, and a Cousins beach t-shirt.

"A shirt too?" He laughs.

"Yeah!" I smile.

He walks up to me and leans down "You're so cute."

He pulls me into a kiss, and I melt into it.

His hands go to my waist, pulling me into him.

He goes down to my neck, leaving circular hickies across my neck.

"Connie." I laugh. He pulls away and smiles at the marks he left. "You look real proud of yourself."

"I am." He shrugs with a smile.

I turn around to walk to my room, and he slaps my ass as hard as he could.

"Conrad!" I laugh.

"I couldn't help myself!" He laughs.

I go put his hoodies in my suitcase, and he sits on my bed as he packs.

'Lonesome Town' by Ricky Nelson plays through my speaker as my mood drops thinking about what's to come.

"What's up?" He asks.

"Hm?" I ask.

"You're sad, talk to me." He says.

I move my suitcase off my bed, and lay down with my head on his chest, and he runs his fingers through my hair.

"Talk to me baby." He says as I sigh.

"I'm just scared." I sigh. "I feel like Susannah is the only thing keeping both of our family's from collapsing."

"We're gonna get through it Val. No matter what happens, I will always be here." He says. "Me and Jer will never leave you. Ever."

Every part of me wanted to tell him that I loved him, cause I do, but I knew it was too soon for him. He didn't love me like I love him. "Thank you Connie."

We go downstairs, and find everyone but my mom hanging out.

"Where's mom?" I ask Steven.

"Take a guess." He says as I roll my eyes.

"Cleveland?" I scoff.

"Mhm." He says.

"Oh hey Val, I wanted to talk to you, would you mind coming outside with me?" Susannah asks.

"Sure." I smile.

We go outside onto the front porch, and sit down.

"Your mom and I got into a fight last night." Susannah sighs.

"What? Why?" I ask.

"Because she told me about what happened between you two, and I sided with you." She says. "And she got so mad."

"I just had enough and I yelled at her." I say.

"I would've too." She laughs. "The reason I wanted to talk to you is that I feel like you're the one holding this house and our family's together, and my one wish for you is please don't let our families drift apart. No matter how many arguments and fights happen."

"Of course Susannah, I would never let that happen." I smile.

"And please take care of my boy." She sniffles. "I know Jer has Belly and he can take care of himself, but Connie just shuts down, and I need you to help him."

"We've been talking a lot about it and my main priority is making sure he stays healthy and doesn't shut down again like he did with Aubrey." I say.

"Take care of yourself too, and your mom." Susannah sighs.

"I will." I smile as I put my hand on Susannah's; and my eyes well with tears.

"Oh sweetheart come here." Susannah smiles sadly as she wraps her arms around me, and I cry in her arms.

"I can't do it without you." I sob.

My throat chocked with tears, and my vision was blurry.

"Im never gonna leave you." She says softly.

The worst part was realizing this was probably the last full day I would have with Susannah before I left. Then she would pass.