surprise

"Surprise!" Steven yells as him, Taylor, and Belly walk in.

"Oh uh," Conrad says as he looks at me, then back at them. "Hey."

"Was this not a good time?" Belly asks.

"The house is being sold." Jeremiah says. "The open house is tomorrow."

"What?" Steven asks quietly.

"Jer and I's aunt Julia and cousin Skye are at the hotel next to the old church." Conrad says. "She put it on the market."

"Skye? She's here too?" Belly asks. "You guys haven't seen her in forever."

"It's they, Bells." I say.

"Oh sorry." Belly says.

"Hey, this isn't over." Steven says. "We'll think of something."

"You said the open house is tomorrow right?" Taylor asks.

"Yeah." Jeremiah says.

"And isn't it supposed to be like ninety degrees?" Taylor asks.

"Yeah." Conrad says.

"What if we mess with the ac right before the open house? The realtor won't let Julia have an open house with no ac." Taylor suggests.

"That's great!" Steven smiles.

"Let's do it." Conrad smiles.

Everyone goes to settle in, but I go down and sit on the dock on the beach.

I feel like I'm loosing everything.

As I sat there fighting the urge to cry, someone sits down beside me.

I look over, and it's Conrad.

I look back out onto the water, with my knees to my chest.

"You alright?" Conrad asks as I nod silently. "I know you Vee, talk to me."

"I just feel like I'm losing everything and everyone, and this house was the last thing keeping us together, and I'm losing this too." I sniffle.

"We're not gonna lose the house." Conrad says as he puts a hand on my back.

"Do you have a plan?" I ask as I look at Conrad with tears in my eyes. Conrad always had a plan.

"We don't need some big plan Val." Conrad says. "Even if it's just messing around and driving people away from the open house tomorrow, it's still a plan."

"Do you think we can save the house?" I ask.

"I know we will." He smiles as he brushes my hair behind my ears.

Every time I think I have a chance of getting over Conrad, I just fall again.

Suddenly, someone coughs behind us, snapping us out of our trance. We turn our heads, and Jeremiah's standing there.

"Hope i'm not interrupting anything." Jeremiah says.

"No, you're not." Conrad says as he gets up, and walks towards Jeremiah.