plan

"Okay." Conrad says. "I'll let you help."

"Thank you Connie." I smile, and he smiles at me. And I remembered why I love him.

Jer looks away with an angry sigh, then looks back at us. "Whose selling it?"

"Aunt Julia." Conrad says.

"Skyes mom?" I ask.

"Yeah." Jeremiah replies. "Why? Her and mom haven't talked in years? She didn't even come to her own sisters funeral."

"Yeah, I know." Conrad sighs. "I was thinking maybe you and Vee could go to the hotel her and Skye are staying at, try and talk her out of it."

A feeling of nostalgia goes through me ober Conrad calling me Vee. "Yeah, let's do it."

"Alright, let's go Val's." Jeremiah says. "Conrad, you look around and see if you can find anything."

Conrad nods. Jeremiah I then go outside to the Jeep.

"You wanna drive?" Jeremiah asks.

"Sure." I smile as he tosses me the keys.

We get in the car, and I pull out of the driveway.

"It's the crappy motel next to the old church." Jeremiah says.

"I figured." I laugh. "That's the only hotel here that's under four-hundred dollars a night."

Jeremiah looks at me and just smiles. "I missed having you around."

"I missed you too." I smile.

He doesn't look away. He just keeps looking at me and smiling.

I've never been someone to assume that someone had feelings for me. But I couldn't help but worry if Jer was falling for me.

Jeremiah POV

I had finally realized why Conrad loves her so much.

I had fallen for Valarie. I've fallen hard.

After a quick stop for some bribery flowers, we eventually arrive at the hotel, and go up to the front desk.

"Excuse me, we're looking for Julia Beck and Skye Beck, what room are they in?" Valarie asks.

"They'll be in room five." The worker smiles.

Val and I go back outside and start walking to their room.

"I feel like that's a safety issue." I laugh. "For them to just give out their room number."

"Yeah, you're right." She giggles. I loved that giggle.

Valarie POV

We walk up to the door, and Jeremiah knocks.

The door opens, and Julia looks at us. "Oh, Jeremiah."

"Hey aunt Julia." Jeremiah smiles before handing her the flowers.

"Oh uh, thanks." She replies, before looking at me. "And you are?"

"Valarie." I smile.

"Our moms were best friends." Jeremiah smiles. "And actually the thing that kept their friendship so strong was the beach hou-"

"If you're here to talk me out of the sale don't try." Julia sighs. "It's going on the market. Actually, the open house is tomorrow."

"Oh." Jeremiah sighs.

"Y-you have to know how much the house means to Conrad and Jeremiah, and me and my family. I mean you spent summers there as a kid, right?"

"A few, yeah." Julia sighs.

"Yeah, I mean then, you know, why would you want to let go of such a magical place?" I ask.

"I remember Susannah calling it that." She smiles.

"You know I just don't understand how you can just get rid of something your sister loved so much." Jer says.

"It's not personal." Julia says.

"Yeah, I bet." Jeremiah mocks.

"Are you suggesting that I gift the house to you?" She laughs.

"I mean it is our-" Jeremiah starts.

"No no of course not I-" I say at the same time.

"I think you and your brother should sort this out with your dad." She says. "I'm certain that you have the recourses but I can't put off a sale while I wait for you to get your ducks in a row. I have to be back at work in a week."

"So that's why you didn't make it to my moms funeral?" Jeremiah scoffs.

"Something like that." She hesitates.

"Mom, whose here?" Asks a short haired person, walking up behind Julia.

"Oh hey Skye." Jer says. "Oh uh Val, this is Skye, she's me and Conrad's cousin."

"They, actually." Skye says. "I know it's been like a decade since we talked."

"I thought you were working on the virtual tour for the house?" Julia asks.

"I finished that." Skye says.

"Well, I should be going then." Julia says before closing the door.

We go out to the Jeep, and Jeremiah starts driving back.

"So, what are you thinking now?" I ask.

"I'm thinking i'm an idiot for thinking I could change aunt Julia's mind." Jeremiah says.

"Hey, you're not an idiot." I say. "You haven't talked to her in years, you probably think differently about her."

"It's all up to whether Conrad can convince dad to dip into our trust funds or not." Jeremiah says.

Another plan we had was to try and convince Connie and Jer's dad to let them dip into the trust fund, and let them buy the house.

We eventually arrive home, and go inside.

"Hey, you guys wanna call dad?" Conrad asks.

"Yeah," Jeremiah sighs. "Let's do it."

We go sit down at the dinner table, with Jeremiah and me on one side and Conrad across from us.

Conrad starts calling his dad with his phone on the table in front of us.

"Hey, Connie." Adam says as he answers the call.

"Hey dad." Conrad says.

"What's up?" His dad asks.

"Jeremiah and Valarie are here too." Conrad says. "We have a question. About the house."

His dad sighs. "I'm guessing you spoke to aunt Julia?"

"Yeah, Valarie and I went and saw her yesterday." Jer says.

"We were thinking about maybe dipping into our trust fund, and buying the house." Conrad says. "But we need your permission for the bank."

"No absolutely not, that money is for your future." Adam says.

"The house is our future dad." Jeremiah says.

"Aunt Julia is selling the house and it's completely out of my control." Adam says. "And you're not going into your trusts to buy some house."

Conrad spends the next few minutes trying to convince his dad to let them go into the trust funds, but it's no luck. And they end the call.

We all sit in silence. That call couldn't of gone worse.

Suddenly, the front door opens, and we all turn our heads.

"Surprise!"