call

The call came January seventh.

"Is this Lauren Conklin?"

"This is she."

I watched my mom as I sat at the kitchen counter eating my breakfast.

Suddenly, her phone dropped. And my mom collapsed on the ground in tears.

"Mom?" I panicked as I got up and ran over there. "Mom what happened?"

"I...She..." My mom started before breaking out in screaming cries.

"Steven!" I screamed.

He ran in, and looks at us.

"Mama?" Steven panicked as he ran over and sat next to us. "Mom what's wrong?"

"Susannah's gone!" She sobbed as Steven and I looked at each other.

That day was the worse pain I had ever felt. I had lost my best friend.

It's been a week since the call. And now I stood in my room looking at myself in the mirror.

I had on all black. I was getting ready for her funeral.

On the side of the mirror had Susannah's note to me in the frame. And on my neck was the necklace from her.

The only emotions I had were anger and sadness. I have always been an angry person. But now I had a reason to let it out, and I did. On everyone.

Everyone except Belly and Steven. They were keeping me together.

I walk downstairs, and unsurprisingly Steven and my mom are arguing.

"What is going on?" I ask.

"Moms all pissed off at me for apparently 'disrespecting' her and having an 'attitude'!" Steven yells.

"Mom we're going to Susannah's funeral! Have you. it noticed that we might be a little sad?" I yell.

"That gives you no right to speak to me like that! I am your mother!" She yells. And I lose it.

"Well you sure don't act like a mother!" I yell. "Can you stop with this shit for one fucking day? We're going to a funeral for someone who was more of a mom than you'll ever be! We're gonna be fucking upset!"

"How am I not a mother?" My mom yells.

"You never once went to any of Belly's volleyball games, you never went to any of my games no matter what sport, you have done nothing for Steven except pressuring him to do better in school!" I yell. "So can you for once be a mother? Just to Belly? I shouldn't even have to ask you this but I do. Steven and I don't need you but Belly does. You need to be there for Belly like a mom should. Just stop arguing and yelling for one Goddamn day for a funeral."

She goes to respond but I walk right past her to the door and grab my keys.

"I thought we were riding all together?" Belly asks as she comes downstairs.

"You and mom will ride together, I think it's better if me and Steven go together." I say, giving my mom a look.

I go get in my car with Steven in the passenger seat, and start driving.

"You okay Vals?" Steven asks.

"Yeah." I sigh. "Honestly it made me feel better going off on her like that."

"Me too." He laughs. "Will you be okay seeing Conrad?"

"Yeah." I say. "It's his mom's funeral."

We get to the church where the Funeral was being held, and it was exactly what I would've imagined.