Chapter Eleven

"Hey!" Juliet lights up at the sight of him, waving her hands as she scurries over to Miles, who has been lazily sitting there under a red oak tree. His back is against the trunk and his eyes are distant. With her lips widened in a smile, she approaches him soon while his eyes watch her in a scrutinizing stance.

"Nana asked me to find you." She informs him, breathing fast just before her expression turns into one of regret. "Oh sorry! I called her Nana. I hope you don't mind."

"It's okay," Miles replies, his voice kind of low.

"What are you doing here alone?"

"Watching."

She takes a quick look around her, "Watching what?"

Miles shrugs, "Trees."

"Oh," her eyebrows draw together in confusion, "What's so interesting about watching trees though?" Her gaze travels over the lilac shrubs and dogwood bushes around her curiously and she finds nothing that should be watched for a certain time just for the sake of it.

"When you have nothing to do, you watch trees," he says moodily, looking up through his long eyelashes. He gets up on his feet and brushes the dust off his clothes.

"Oh, I see," she mumbles, still a little confused. Then lifting her face, Juliet's eyes shine with excitement as she exclaims, "Can I join you?"

Miles gives her a side eye, his face firmly neutral. His eyes lower to her collarbone and shoulder before slowly moving up to her face and zeroing in on her lips... And they settle on her eyes.

"Yeah, so your father can sue me for teaching you botany instead of math."

She gives him a disappointed look.

"Let's go inside," Miles says and reluctantly Juliet turns on her feet. However, as soon as she turns, his hand promptly grabs her wrist, halting her movements.

"Wait."

She glances back at him with a scowl but finds his attention has shifted to her neck. Not letting go of her hand, he takes a step closer to Juliet, his cautious eyes stuck on that part of her neck.

"Listen, don't panic," Miles says in a hushed tone, looking back and forth at her eyes and neck. Juliet keeps staring at him, dumbfounded by this peculiar behavior.

"Why would I panic?" She asks, her voice faltering with confusion.

"There's a ladybug on your neck."

"Ew!" Juliet gasps in fear just as the words leave his mouth and attempts to hastily move back only for his hold to tighten around her wrist.

"Don't move. It'll hold on tighter."

She halts again, her face morphing into impatience and terror.

"Can I take it away?"