Chapter Twelve

He keeps his calculating eyes on her for a while and something doesn't seem right with her. This isn't her usual self. Something, no, a few things are missing. The twinkle in her brown eyes, that ever-present smile and overall the cheerful vibe she gives which lifts his mood up every time; these all are absent today.

"Juliet." Miles calls her, breaking the silence as she looks up at him, halting her pen.

"Yeah?"

"Is everything okay?"

She scowls a little before shrugging casually, "Yes? Why are you asking?"

His gaze examines her thoroughly and he has a feeling that she's lying. And she doesn't seem to be a very good liar.

"Nothing." He brushes it off and she goes back to solving the equation she was doing previously.

He still can't help but steal glances at her from the corner of his eyes. Why so tense all of a sudden?

He hasn't even realized when he started to appreciate her cheerful spirit, her energy that can light up this whole town. Literally. Now the smallest change in her mood seems to affect him deeply and it's concerning.

A question arises in his mind. He knows it won't be totally appropriate for him to ask that considering how he's been keeping his guard up all this time but he can't stop the words from flowing out of his mouth the next moment,

"Why are you so quiet?"

A flash of remorse flits across his features just as Juliet gives him a surprised look. She hasn't expected him to ask. However, she pulls herself together immediately and forces a laugh,

"I mean I'm talking?"

He folds his arms, face tilted slightly and eyes narrowed at her.

"Not like before."

A tentative smile lingering on her lips, she raises a mocking brow, "I thought you didn't like me blabbering useless stuff all the time? You should be happy."

Miles falls silent, fixing her with a piercing stare.

"No, I liked you more that way."

"Too bad. I don't feel like going back." She giggles, trying to pass it off as a joke but there's a hint of seriousness that Miles deciphers. But he decides not to push her further.

.....

5:30

His forehead turns into a scowl as he reads the time on the clock. He takes out his phone but then remembers he never actually asked for her number. He releases a weary breath.

5:40

She would never be forty minutes late, he thinks. Sitting on the couch, his eyes keep going back to the door over and over again and he becomes impatient with each passing minute. More than one month and she never missed their sessions for a single day before.