Chapter Thirty Eight

Juliet has been absentmindedly walking to her class when Ayra startles her from behind before laughing out in amusement.

"How can people be so cheerful in the morning? I feel like a zombie," Juliet says, referring to the jolly atmosphere surrounding her as they walk side by side. In response, she giggles, taking it as a compliment.

"It's probably because your sleep schedule is stuck in a zombie apocalypse."

Juliet nods. "Most probably."

"Is everything okay though, Julie? Why do you look sad?" Ayra says after inspecting her face more closely for a while.

"Something happened."

"I knew it. Or else why wouldn't I be sun slapped when Julie looks my way? What is it?"

"I was heading to my class this morning, and there were three girls standing in the hallway talking to one another. When I was passing them, they said something about me. They think I didn't hear them, but I actually did."

"What did they say?"

Juliet halts next to a bench and takes a seat, Ayra following her. A sigh escapes her mouth as she purses her lips consciously.

"I think they have noticed me before because one of them went like, 'Why does she always dress like she's just time-traveled from the 1800s?' and another one then said, 'She's probably a church girl.' And they laughed. You know what, Ayra?" she turns to her, desperate. "It doesn't sadden me that they said all those about me because their judgment is correct. I'm indeed a church girl, and I love being a church girl, and I love being old school. What hurts me is how they mocked my preferences and made fun of it just because it didn't match theirs. As if there should be only one way of living."

Ayra sighs, giving her an empathetic look. "I'm sorry, Julie. Please don't let their vain judgment break your heart. It's clear they are just a bunch of bullies who have no lives and are obsessed with the belief that they are the main characters, while in fact, they're the forgotten hair clips of the main character's aunt's brother's sister."

Juliet laughs. "You are actually hilarious."

Ayra smiles back contentedly. "I love your outfits a lot. They are so dreamy. And the most important thing is if you love what you are doing with your life. Who are they? You don't even know their names. They are irrelevant. And who are you? The kindest, prettiest main character with a heart of gold. You win-end of the story."

"You'd make a good therapist."

Chuckling, Ayra fixes her imaginary glasses and tries to pull a serious expression. "Thank you for the compliment. I knew it already. I mean, I'm good at everything."

The two of them laugh humorously before resuming their walk, and Ayra adds, "Why didn't you tell them anything?"

"I was running late for my exam, plus I try my best to not get into fights if I can avoid it. It would have caused a scene, and people would have noticed me. I hate attention."