1. lost ventures

1. lost ventures

Laena Bennett knows that there is a time for business and a time for mourning and wallowing in ones own grief and despair, she's not sure that Gerard Sullivan knows this though, because every time their eyes connect she can feel his grief swallow her whole.

It almost makes her flinch, but then she remembers why she's here and who he is and a scowl graces her features.

"Are you ready to talk?" A voice asks and she cranes her neck towards the sound even though the question is not directed towards her.

Laena does not like Dushane - she thinks that he's too cocky, to sure of himself. A trait that she would usually admire if the circumstances were different. It will get him killed, she thinks and the thought almost makes her smirk.

You see, Laena does not like this business and she does not like how it always seems to intertwine with every aspect of her life. It's a web that's already been spun, woven through every action she takes. She might as well accept it, but to accept defeat is to die, at least in their eyes.

Laena sighs again.

"You good?" Jaq asks, raising a brow at the girl. Laena likes Jaq, she's a sweet kid beyond the tough exterior she presents.

She nods at Jaq before standing suddenly. "I'm leaving," she declares. "I want no part in this," she motions towards the man in the corner, the one sporting the busted lip and bruised eye, no thanks to her.

"Call me when you're done," she adds as she grabs her clutch, smoothing down her silk dress.

She is not happy, haven been disrupted from her dinner date to help identify the man she had seen stealing "food". It had been an expensive reservation, one she had booked three weeks prior, worse yet, the date had simply been a meeting with a client that she had been trying to sell a house to for months. The dinner was supposed to be her final opportunity to smooth things over with the client, now it was over and she was sure that he would pull out of the offer.

Right on cue Laena's phone buzzes. Her client had pulled out of the offer. Now Laena would not be getting that promotion, she thinks glumly and a scowl graces her features.

"You good?" Dushane repeats, and Laena silences him with a stare.

"Dickheads," she mutters as she throws open the heavy door, exiting into the night air. The wind hums lowly and she can feel the icy air biting at her exposed skin.

author's note:
YAYY sully fic, lowk cringing bc i made this LOLL but i think it's 2 good 2 be rotting in my drafts so YAY go me. but also i rly did fuck up all the tenses like idek which tenses i used but is it that deep cuz i'm not a writer yk.

ok lmk if you loved this xxx

p.s. yes i did steal the title from jcoles song 'crooked smile' xx i love having good music taste tyvm