4. motion sickness

4. motion sickness

It has been a few days and Laena has not left her apartment, haven callen sick from work and choosing to wallow in her own self-pity, her apartment her only place of sanctuary. True, Sully had arrived in time before any real damage had been done, but every time she closes her eyes she can feel the man's rough, calloused hands grasping at her skin; tainting her and touching her as though she's less than human, more of an animal than his own kind.

She hates feeling so vulnerable, so used.

He seems to have drained her with only a touch.

Sighing, she rests her head against the cool kitchen cabinets, choosing to sink down onto the tiled floor, she'd quite like it if the ground opens up and the Earth swallows her whole, leaving no trace behind.

The doorbell rings and she's up in an instant, one hand rubbing at her temples and the other searching for her key.

Then the knocks begin and Laena feels her heart begin to close up, as though someone is clenching it shut in their grasp, squeezing tight.

Fear shoots through her veins and she does not know whether to run or face her fears head on. Sure, she's the confrontational type, but the encounter last week has left her valuing her life a whole lot more. It's like she's seeing everything in a brand new light.

"Yo Laena," a voice shouts through the unopened door and her head stops its spinning, the pounding in her heart stopping temporarily.

"Sully, Sully." She reaffirms as she unlocks the door. There's something of guilt flickering in his uninviting eyes.

She's angry now, he's not supposed to be here, at her home. There's one boundary Laena upholds, prides herself in even. This business can never be brought to her own doorstep, yet here Sully stands with a duffel bag and a young girl beside him, mocking everything she's ever stood for, crossing a firm boundary.

She can't be no older than 19 and Laena notices the freckles on her face immediately. She's pretty.

"No," Laena says before Sully can speak, beggining to shut the door.

He pushes it open before she can turn the key.

"Hear me out, Laena."

She shakes her head again and again. "Not here, not my home. You know that Sully."

He softens his eyes momentarily before his cold expression returns, "You owe me, Laena."

She narrows her eyes at him, shaking her head, "You do not get to use that against me, Sully." She points her finger at him, stabbing him in the chest with it. "You're some dickhead you know."

He pushes her hand back, scowling. "Look man, I know ain't no-one wanna deal wit this bloodclart yute for free so I'll pay you, innit. It's all calm."

"Uncs, who you calling bloodclart, yuno-"

He cuts the girl off, "You're bare jarring you know, don't even try me Pebbles."

The girl kisses her teeth as Laena scoffs, exasperated.

"Sully," Laena pleads, "literally nothing is calm about this. Please, send her somewhere else. She can't stay here- You know she can't. Takeher to Dushane's for God's sake."

His eyes bore into hers. "She will stay here, Laena, an' you gonna let her. Like I said, I'll pay you, innit. Money ain't a problem."

"It's not fair," she exclaims, "you know I cant say no, I-"

"Then you better start saying yes, innit." His eyes are cold and Laena freezes in fear, every fibre in her body is telling her to walk away, to shut the door and leave him and the girl outside of her house in the freezing cold, but this is Sully she's talking about and Laena can never say no to him for too long.

Laena nods her head then, accepting defeat as he hands her the duffel bag and pulls put a wad of £20 notes from his coat pocket. He doesn't want this either, whether he admits it or not, he doesn't like dragging Laena further into his messes.

"Behave, Pebbles," he says as he nods a thanks at Laena, "an' don't touch shit."

author's note:
a quick little update for yous xx
- also i lit hav no idea where this story is going 2 go now, like i had an idea to add a little scene wit her and sully talking in depth here but i thought nah that can b its own bit isn't it. idkkkk im out of ideas ill THINK. also writing abt pebbles and laeans dynamic seems so hard 2 me i don't even want 2 think abt it x next chapter should b out somewhere between today or monday. and no i don't hav a schedule, ill update whenever i feel like it which will ptobs n very sporadic soz ly

ANYWAYYY THOUGHTS???