2. instigator

2. instigator

Laena's silver-studded heels make a click-clacking sound as they drum against the cold concrete path leading towards Sully's narrowboat.

She thinks this place is a shithole, and her sullen attitude is proven to be right when three men begin to leer at her from where they stand. One reaches out to grab at her, his bony hands grasping at her jacket, trying to touch skin. She slaps his hand away and he backs of immediately, baring his yellow teeth as though they are fangs, ready to sink into her skin. She shakes her head. 

Kissing her teeth, she weaves past the remaining men, ignoring their whistles and catcalling as she approaches Sully's boat.

Laena is not happy, haven been sent by Dushane to warn Sully of some meeting between them — she didn't ask for more than she needed to know, she does not like this business and refuses to wedge herself further into its claws. The more involved she becomes, the harder it is to leave, and she knows they won't let her go so easily. Anyway, Jaq had been unavailable and Dushane had found Laena to be only three calls away.

Laena cannot help the feeling of dread creep up her body, goosebumps rising on her skin, as she steps onto the boat, feeling it sway softly beneath her. The movement, though barely noticeable, causes her to stumble slightly.

Boats unnerve Laena. She's never been much of a fan of big bodies of water, specially not the murky waves beneath Sully's boat. She can't imagine how it must feel when they pound against the sides of the boat on stormy nights. She can almost feel the waves knocking into her, and she shudders. 

Kissing her teeth, Laena knocks on the door. Once, then twice. Gradually, her knocks become bangs.

The door swings open and Laena catches a glimpse of metal in Sully's hand. Instantly, she frowns, making clear her disapproval of firearms as she enters, pushing past a scowling Sully.

He is not happy to see her and his boat smells of cigarettes and aftershave, and Laena quite likes the smell. She ignores his remarks for her to leave. 

Her eyes wander the small boat, bony fingertips grazing against the wooden countertops. Her real estate heart winces at the poor interior design, though she can't help but admit that the place would sell for quite a bit above market value.

"The fuck are you doin' here?" Sully growls out suddenly, making her turn to face him. A scowl — which Laena's starting to think is permanent — etched upon his face. "'Cause it sure ain't to market my gaff."

Laena shakes her head then, smirking slightly as she speaks, "What, do I need an excuse to visit a dear friend?" she winks then, holding her hands up in mock defence.

Sully does not laugh.

She frowns then, shaking her head slightly. "You're no fun, Sully. You need to loosen up. You should try some of the drugs you sell, you know. Ease your conscience."