8. just a kiss

8. just a kiss

Laena stares at Sully, dumfounded, at a complete loss for words.

"You're drunk," she mumbles, her eyes widen at the realization. Immediately, she begins to run her fingers through her hair, pacing back and forth in panic. What has she done?

The shock is evident on her face. Laena has not meant for this to happen.

"Jesus Christ, Sullivan. What have you done to me?"

He has the nerve to stare at her, eyes wide as a small smirk spreads across his face.

"Drunk actions are sober thoughts," he drags out every syllable putting an emphasis on the sober.

"No, no, no," the panic and bile begins to rise in her, festering in the pit of her stomach. "You shouldn't have done that- You-"

He cuts her off, cupping her face in his hands as he speaks gruffly, his eyes clearing up, "Why not, Heleana? Why the fuck not?"

She lets out a shaky laugh, pushing herself off him before he does something stupid that he can't take back, like kiss her again. "Because you don't mean it!" She exclaims as though it is the most simplest thing in the world.

"And what if I do?" He questions, eyes piercing into hers. He looks so sincere that Laena feels as though her legs are about to give out.

"But you don't," she mumbles softly, forcing out the words. "You're drunk and you won't remember this in the morning, but I will."

He lets out an exasperated sigh then, shaking his head and kissing his teeth as he reaches for his bottle, taking another swig. "I can't lie, Helaena - it was just a kiss. It doesn't have to mean anything."

"But everything you do has a meaning!"

Sully lets out another long sigh, rubbing at his temples, "Does everything I do have to have an ulterior motive?"

She nods then, violently.

Silence.

"Give my love to Tash." Sully sobers up as he says it.

"Dickhead," Laena kisses her teeth as she leaves, turning on her heels.

It has been a week and Laena can't stop thinking about the
feeling of his lips lingering on hers.

The kiss seems to be haunting her. It feels as though Sully has stamped his name across her heart, branding her as his.

She knows she's being unreasonable, delirious even, but only the Lord knows how long she's been waiting for this.

It should feel so right but it doesn't. It feels wrong. So, so wrong. Everything about this feels wrong.

(Secretly, Laena thinks she's never felt a feeling more right.)

She feels so dirty, so beyond guilty.

With a sigh she begins to run her fingers through her hair, combing out the knots.

Pebbles had been gone when Laena had arrived home, she left a note about going to see Tash which made enough sense.

Laena's pretty sure she's left the poor girl with a lifetime of trauma; she can only hope Tash keeps her lips sealed.

Rubbing at her temples, she reaches for a glass of water and her pills,  swallowing them both.

"Stop thinking about Sully," she mentally drills into her head as she begins to shift through paperwork.

Laena's got a new client who should be consuming her whole life, becoming the forefront of her mind, instead she can't stop thinking about a certain someone's lips and the way he makes her heart soar.

She's become infatuated and it is driving her crazy.

This feeling is like nails dragging on a chalkboard to her.

"It's just a kiss," she reminds herself, repeating it til it becomes her mantra. The words taste like acid in her mouth, scalding her tongue and warping her thoughts.

"Just a kiss."

author's note:
guyssss soz 4 the super ubër short chapter xxxx im not sure if i likeeee it. like it needs more description & i literslly cannotmaster sully hes such a complex, hard character to wrote for UGHHH.

also ik it feels like we r moving super fast, but i wanna get to this one scene that i hav planned out for like AGESSS so im tryna speed it up but ill try not to rush iggg

thoughts?