Chapter 11 - Betrayed

"I knew someone would come to help me."

I had aghast look on my face; my eyes wide with shock -my mouth open, stupefied.

I stared at a glowing guy standing at the entrance of my room. He was thin and tall. He had so many creases on his forehead but he looked very young. His eyes were deep brown just like his hairs which shone like glitter. He was charming.

I'm not dreaming, right?

The darkness in my room amplified his presence. He had no.. outline. I know, I should have been screaming and running since I heard him the first time but I was just sitting on my bed staring at him like I was wonder-struck. Not to forget, HE'S A GHOST.

OH DARN!!!

I screamed.

Dammit, Dammit, Dammit! Not again..

"Claire!" he shouted.

Oh man, how does he know my name??

"Calm down, please." I had never heard anything scarier than a ghost saying 'please'.

"Don't kill me-" I pleaded like he'd actually change his mind.

"No, I'd never harm you. I just want your help."

Help? A ghost needed my help, oh god. I can't believe I am having a friendly conversation with a ghost.

"Please, go away." I cried.

I knew I couldn't go past him because he was standing at the door and I definitely couldn't jump out of my window. I thought to convince him. I'm witty.

"I am stuck here, forever. Unless-" he strode towards me. I climbed backward in my bed and went as far as I could. "Unless you help me, Claire.

"I was betrayed. All I could remember is my girlfriend's dead body. She was killed. I don't know how. She loved someone else. You have to help me."

He confused me. He wore a flannel trouser and a v-neck sweater vest over a collared shirt. So, he looked like he lived in the beginning of 20th century, he had a girlfriend and she was killed. But how could I help?

"Help me, Claire. I was betrayed."

He said that and then, he just disappeared. I gasped for air. I was sobbing. There was some serious romance tragedy going in this house. First that bit*hy bride and now this romeo. I wanted to tell mom right now, pack my bags and runaway. But I had to wait until she returned.

After I ate Nutella jam and toast for dinner and took my medicines, I safely tucked myself in my bed and tried to sleep. After that staircase incident I had sheltered a dark fear inside me. I always felt I was being strangled like that bird which died in the backyard on the very first day of my arrival in Havendell. The more I tried to get free of the ropes, the more I chocked.

I woke up late. I still had weird nightmares. I was taking too much stress. Last night, I saw that lover guy in my dream as well. He sat with me on my bed, he squeezed my hand and whispered, "I trust you. We are together in this."

I got ready fast and rushed downstairs. My neighbor told me to leave as soon as possible, in fact before I turned 17. I have to convince mom, howsoever. She was sitting on one of the couches with newspaper in her hands. The TV was playing some reality show.

My mom's favorite shows were cooking shows and some documentary about useless stuff. She was more like Jake in that case. Reality shows were last thing in the world she'd see.

"Mom?" I called out, "You're watching Survivor?"

"Um.." she looked up from the newspaper and turned to answer me, "yes."

She looked tired. Her short brownish black hairs looked messy and her grey eyes looked exhausted.

"You okay?"

She nodded.

"I had to tell you something," I walked towards her couch and sat down beside her. "We couldn't liv-"

"Actually, I'm very tired." she stood up, "We'll talk later."

"Mom, this is importa-"

"It can wait. I don't have time for it." she placed the newspaper on the table and went into her room.

I stared the door of her room. This was weird. Mom is always so calm and composed. She just snarled at me.

What's happening?

I went back to my room at stood near the lake facing window. I was turning 17 in few hours. Mom will be at her work long before that. What will I do?

I tried to talk to mom before she went to work but she snapped and promised she'll talk later. I tried to talk with Jake too but he totally ignored me. Why are they living in their 'Everything's going to be alright' bubble. They have to hear me out.

Soon, it was 12. Aria was the first one to call. And the only one! I couldn't talk for more than 5 minutes. She figured something was wrong and I wanted to tell her about it but I didn't.

Fortunately, nothing happened. I stared the clock and it kept on going. The neighbor had scared the hell out of me. What if that was a joke? No!

This hollowness in my room was eating me. I had very worse thoughts. I was just drifting in a faraway Neverland full of scary things. I was so afraid of what was happening with me. I felt someone else controlled me. I was afraid of my own thoughts.

There were a bunch of girls standing in my backyard. The beautiful lady who gave me bruise on my wrist, the drama bride who pushed me from my staircase and few others. They all looked like they were from different time period. They were all bleeding with blood.

I was standing in the amidst of the group. One of the lady spoke,

"She is 17 now."

"She'll soon be one of us." the other one spoke.

"She'll die, just like us."

"That boy is trying to save her, but he couldn't."

"No one can save her."

"She is the next prey."

The voices around me drowned me. Water was all around me and inside me. I was in great thirst of air. I tried to come out of the water but someone was pulling my legs. Tall and thin fingers were tight around my ankles. He pulled me down so I was face-to-face with him.

"You're mine." his eyes were blue, scary poisonous blue.

I woke up with a jolt. I coughed. I felt water in my noise and my windpipe. I was gasping for air. I was sweating. The blood beneath my face felt too hot against my skin. I push my hairs from my face. I felt water drip on my arms through the ends. My hairs were completely wet.