55. Road Trip

Neither Ander nor Rick believed they were driving to Rivera together. The ride was awkward - that'd be an understatement.

They drove out of Havendell in silence, the sun was about to dip down the horizon. They'd planned the whole trip within half an hour, Ander informed Dora and Vincent. It'd be midnight by the time they'd reach there. Rick took the steering wheel while Ander sat in the passenger seat.

"Have you ever been to Rivera?" Rick asked, surprising Ander. Was he actually trying to make a conversation? Or was he spying? Ander was bored either way so he answered.

"Consciously? No." Ander meant to joke but it came out rude.

Rick didn't speak.

"I was more determined to kill and destroy," Ander spoke like a movie villain, raising his hands in the air.

Rick laughed.

There was that awkward silence again.

"So, what is it like? To live again?" Rick's hesitant voice said he was testing waters with Ander.

"Well, how can I explain 'coming back to life' if you have no idea what it feels like to be dead?" Ander turned towards him and said.

The highway was deserted, hardly any vehicles in view by then.

"Well then, what it feels like to be dead?" Rick asked, his eyes glued to the road.

Ander didn't answer for a while to create that dramatic suspense. Rick raised his brow at Ander, waiting for his reply.

"That's the point! You don't feel anything. Because you're dead."

After a momentarily pause, both laughed so hard it brought tears to their eyes.

"You're both very alike." Rick said between his laughs, "You and Claire. She's just like you."

That took away Ander's laughter. He and Claire. A pang of jealousy hit him when he realized how much Rick understood Claire.

"So, you and Claire. Are you both going out? You like her?" Ander acted like it was a casual question.

Rick just smirked knowing his intention. "I'd answer only if you answer my question."

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything. How you met that bitch, the curse, and the afterlife. It might help us get some clue."

"It's a long story!"

"We have hours before we reach Rivera." Rick pointed out.

Ander thought about it before he began, "The day before we were going to get married, I saw Gab-"

"No. I know that story. I want to know behind the scenes. The roots!"

"Behind the scenes?" Ander chuckled. "Fine."