63. Lost Lover

"What's happening?" Rick's eyes were wide with terror.

Everyone else waited for Ander to confirm their fears. Claire. She stood there, waiting for him to say 'it's going to be fine'. He wanted more than anything to tell her that and get her out of the bloody house.

"Clai- ahh," Something cold stabbed him in his lower spine, tearing him. At least it felt like it. His vision blurred. Darkness surrounded him and their fears where shunned with silence. Something crawled up his spine, weakening him.

He dropped on the ground, his knees hitting hard on the floor with a thud. His chest tightened, his breathing fast and short.

He wanted to stand tall, force his legs and run but he felt paralyzed, unable to control any of his movements. He wanted to scream helplessly. He couldn't.

A path lit up ahead of him though he couldn't focus what lied ahead of him. A person was sleeping on the ground pooled in his own blood. Opening his eyes, he raised his finger at him, "You're the only man now while I'm gone. Take good care of them, okay?" His dad.

His hand dropped while his eyes were focused behind Ander. He followed the dead man's gaze. A lady stood behind him, her arms around a little girl.

"Andy," the woman said in a tired voice. Her voice was barely audible.

"Mama!" He wanted to run towards her and take her in his arms, but she pushed the little girl towards him and fell back, her head exploding as she fell on the ground, blood splattering around and on the little girl.

Little Dora stood there, her eyes focused on her dead mother on verge of tears but her fist tight as her side to control herself. A boy in mid-teens pushed her aside and walked out of the house. It was young Ander. A sugary voice greeted him, Gabriela's. They both disappeared leaving the little girl to grieve alone.

"Dora, I'm sorry." Ander couldn't control himself. He was angry. How can he be so stupid? "I'm sorry.."

The scene changed. Ander was in the backyard that decorated for an event. His wedding. Looking towards the dock, he saw two men fighting. He knew very well what went down there. Little Dora watched from the distance as Gabriela's lover died, the curse Gabriela jinxed on Ander, the suicide. Everything.

Young Ander had disappeared leaving little Dora alone in a cruel world. Weak. Heartbroken. Dora walked over to the lake. "If I jump, it'd be easier."

"Dora, no!" Ander shouted but she was oblivious of his concern. She was terrified. Shaking with fright. Ander could sense it.

How? Why was he feeling her emotions?

Little Dora heard some priest talking over, her ears perking up with interest on hearing there was a chance. Chance to save Ander.

She found a way.

She lured girl after girl to Ander, her heart breaking each time for all the sins she was committing. Her soul was turning dark. Yet she felt she was closer to victory. Her brother would return. She was determined to sacrifice everything, even innocent souls. Just for her Andy.

It broke Ander's heart to see what Dora had gone through. He was seeing a dramatic flashback of her life, feeling the emotions she felt. Failure. Hopelessness. Struggle. Heartbroken.

When Kathy, her great-granddaughter died at the hands of her brother - that tore her completely. Then Will died.

Yet, there was something about Claire that piqued her sympathy and for the first time, she wanted to save her. Save from the horror that her sweet brother had turned into.

Dora wanted to hate him, hate him with all her heart. Ander had turned into a demon, she'd thought, he was dead. But when she learned Ander was trying to save Claire from himself, she realized something. Ander was alive somewhere. Dora cried. Cried for the first time in years. Cried for hating Ander. Cried for wanting to help Ander. Cried for the life she lived and she didn't. Cried for all the suffering she went through.

She cried for death, begging it to embrace her. But her sins were far too great and all she had to do was suffer.

Days rolled by. The spark of happiness that lit her soul when she saw Ander on a hospital bed, real Ander - alive and human, was beyond words. She was truly happy for once in her life. Watching both Ander and Claire safe.

Then, Dora's visions... Ander saw himself stabbing Claire, the life vanishing out of her eyes-

"STOP!" Ander screamed. He could no longer watch. What was happening to him? Tears brimmed his eyes. Didn't he have enough?

The scene played around him, he was confused. He was dreaming for sure.

"Ander!!" Claire's voice filled up around him, somewhere beyond the darkness. "What's happening to you? We have to get out!"

He wanted to reply but he couldn't. His life played before him. He was dying.

No.

It wasn't him. He was watching it from Dora's eyes. Was Dora dying? No, he can't lose her again.

"Dora!!" Ander screamed in his mind, "What's happening?"

The scenes stopped. It was dark again. Silent. Though he still couldn't move his legs. A spotlight fell ahead of him. Little Dora stood before him.

"Andy," she smiled.

"What happened to yo-"

She shook her head gently, her big eyes sparkling, "It's not the right time."

"But-"

"Ander!" She scolded, "If you don't listen to what I'm about to say, Claire will die."

That made Ander stop.

"I'm sorry I couldn't tell this earlier." Ander frowned. "I found out who is helping Gabriela. It's George. Gabriela's lover, the one you killed."

"It's not possible. All the spirits have moved on."

"George wasn't bound to the curse. He died before it." Little Dora explained.

"But how can he help? How do you know this?"

"I wanted to explain everything as soon as I came here but I'm dying."

"Dora! What are you-"

"There's still something left of me but I'm trapped. Gabriela has control over my body though she can't kill me yet. She would be trapped in my old body otherwise."

Ander had nothing to say.

"There was always something missing. A piece of this puzzle. It was George. He was a warlock. He's the one helping Gabriela."

"George's ghost?"

"Unfortunately, no. He is alive. He took over a body."

"Oh no, that can't-"

"Jake - he's dead. He was controlled by George for so long. Even before your curse broke. George finally took over. They're working together, Andy."