56.2 - Back Story

Her words didn't make any sense. Dumbfounded, I stood there waiting to wake up from the nightmare.

'Any minute now.' I chanted. But I didn't wake up. I was going into a deep slumber instead.

She had killed herself, putting my pistol on her head, stealing my life with her.

Later, I would ponder why didn't my life didn't end when Gabriela died. I loved her too and that's how the curse would break, being heart torn over the death of your love. It took me years before I acknowledged, I didn't love her enough.

My existence vanished the moment Gabriela took her last breath. I was breathing a moment ago, my heart rapidly beating against my ribs, blood flowing through my veins, my mind trying to process what to make of the situation but then, I was floating in nothingness.

I didn't feel the warmth of my blood in my body, sensation of touching the ground, my senses were blurry and hazy. It was like dissolving into air, mixing with the microorganisms.

But there was a moment in between. Between everything and nothing. I saw Dora, watching me from distance, feeling all the pain I was feeling. Her eyes were wide with fear; if she strained it for a moment longer, blood would flow out of it. She was standing her ground but her insides were trembling, shattering. While I dissolved, she turned to stone with no one around.

Most threatening realization hit me when I saw her for the last time. She was all alone. As an elder brother and his guardian, it was my job to take care of her. My parents trusted me and delegated that responsibility. I was supposed to be the man to shield my family, my little sister from all the troubles. Instead, I stranded her with such brittle memories.

I was a ghost. A memory. A silent observer. I didn't even have a normal thought process. Everything was so calm and serene. That was the silence before the storm I was about to create.

My uncle took care of Dora. They'd tried to find me, bring me back but of no use. I was gone. Gabriela was indeed a witch. Uncle Jim began the construction of the house next to mine, now Monroe's house.

Sometimes, I'd hear Dora's echoing, calling me out, begging me to return. I was so far. I tried to swim towards her but I was in the never ending mist.

For few years, nothing happened. I was swimming in an endless time and space; gloomy and lost. I didn't have any idea what happened to me or was there any ending to it.

Dora had moved to the next house, she was closer than ever to Benedict. I was happy, if you could say that to a little satisfaction that my heart felt. He wasn't as worthless as I thought he'd be. They both started working at Sands & Witches. They took over the restaurant, making it successful and popular than before.

But one summer evening, while I was strolling in my house, a girl entered. She was Clarissa, I'd known somehow. Dora's friend.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" She proudly folded her hands and asked.

And I would've passed out from shock if I was a normal functioning human.

"How can you? How can you see me!" I touched my neck, realizing I was still able to speak. It sounded so human.

"I see. It was you who'd been scaring my dog the other day. What are you? A robber?" She was already running out of the house, shouting, "Theodora is going to be pissed."

I would've explained her then if given a chance. She returned few days later.

"For heaven's sake! I thought you'd be gone. You won't find anything here!"

She was such fierce girl although she appeared very fragile. I was attracted to her fearlessness. But she deserved to know. And maybe she could mediate my words to Dora, so I explained.