59. Unravel

Ander stood paralyzed in his place as the dark haired lady rushed towards him.

"Shit! There's another." Rick shouted grabbing Ander by his sleeve and running away as the second witch with red hair approached them behind the dark haired witch.

Turning in other direction, they kept putting one step after other.

"What should we do?" asked Rick when Ander grabbed his wrist and dragged him into another alley.

"There's no way out." The lady with red hair appeared before them, tripping the empty trash cans.

Rick and Ander halted. They took few steps backward, but a voice stopped them.

"It's of no use." Laughed the witch. Ander eyed her, her raven black hair and red Victorian dress brightening the dull street.

"We have to find the house," Rick whispered.

Nodding, Ander added, "And outrun them."

Ander turned towards Rick and saw the fire escape ladder hanging above him.

"Run to the library, meet Poetry. She'll know." Ander said before jumping once and snatching down the ladder.

"But they'll -" Rick looked around for his escape while trying to argue with him.

"They won't hesitate to kill you. Me- they need." Ander informed as he climbed up the stairs while Rick ducked through an open window.

"I'll wait for you. Stay alive." He shouted before escaping while Ander hurried up.

The ladies who were not more than dozen feet away dispersed their route as well. One in pursuit behind Ander, the other running after Rick.

"I told you it's useless. Give up and we'll help you." The lady said out loud, her breath already huffing. She was much older than she appeared.

Ander slid through a handrail opening and entered a long lobby of the building. "Shut that crap! I don't trust any of you."

This was the apartment mentioned in the address. But with the witch chasing her, it wasn't easy. Ander could injure the lady if he wished but he didn't trust his strength and she was a witch. His priorities were escaping this place after getting the information they were after and reaching Claire.

"Where's Penelope? She's not here. She escaped, didn't she?" The lady asked.

Ander almost tripped. Why was she after Penelope too? Weren't they working together?

The other witch who went after Rick now stood before Ander at the end of the lobby. She was empty handed. At least Rick was safe!

Ander's eyes roamed around like a predator, accessing the rows of the door on his each side. He found a wooden name plate with huge bold letters near one of the doors.

Peter Jenkins

Ander checked the house number - 2414, same as it was in the address. Jenkins - he'd heard that last name before. He was sure he knew someone with Jenkins as their last name, someone who was Penelope.

He was lost in thought, unaware of the two witches approaching to attack him.

"ANDER!!" a voice echoed on the floor breaking him out of his trance. A blow hit the red-haired witch, knocking her down.

"Are you insane?" Rick appeared with a rod in his hand.

"What are you-" Ander was about to argue when Rick shouted.

"Behind you!"

Ander ducked down, the heels of the dark haired witch dug in his waist. Losing her balance, the black haired witch slammed on the floor. Rick seeing an opportunity, jumped on her and pinned her down.

"I saved your life. Twice! You owe me, bro." He laughed.

And then cried in pain when he saw blood dripping from his ankles where the witch stabbed the knife. Ander reacted quickly by snatching the rod from Rick's hand and hitting the witch's head.

Rick tried to pull out the dagger as he winced in pain. Ander caught his leg and jerked out the sharp metal out and pulling him up.

"We're equal now," Ander smirked. When Rick rolled his eye painfully, the former asked, "Are you all right? Can you walk?"

Rick nodded while he trotted forward, his eyes glued to the wooden nameplate.

"Shit!" He muttered. Turning towards Ander, he said, "Jenkins- it's Aria!"

"Aria!" Ander gritted his teeth, not doubting Rick's guess. That's where he heard Jenkins! She's been fishy.

"Damn! Claire's alone with her!!" Rick cursed, his eyes wide with fear.

"We have to reach there as soon as possible. Before they try anything on Claire."

Rick was dazed, fear terrifying every part of him.

Ander, although red with rage, assured Rick gently and squeezed his shoulder, "I won't let anything happen to Claire. But we have to reach there first."

"Damn you, Aria!"

Ander looked at the two unconscious witches. There was no time to worry about them. Someone from the coven would soon find them and heal with their witchcraft potions. Or so he hoped.

They took a cab, reached their hotel and checked out after mending Rick's injury. Although he kept saying he was fine, his trotting walk said something else. Ander knowingly insisted on driving, while Rick informed his uncle, Father Dominic, to meet up at Claire's house.

"We'll need his help." Ander had said.

They tried calling Claire, warning her about Aria but her phone was out of reach.

Ander also informed Dora, asking her if she could come back to Havendell. An experienced witch like her may come handy if anything had happened to Claire.

While Ander appeared calm and composed on the outside, he was freaking out. He was useless. Left with no power. He wasn't even sure Claire was safe. He'd promised himself that no harm shall befall her yet she was miles away with the person she shouldn't trust.

Fortunately, the painkiller knocked down Rick who was deep in sleep throughout the way or he would have screamed at Ander for his reckless driving. The long six-hour journey was cut down to five.

Ander panicked when they entered Havendell, his brain scramming a way out of this mess. He was the root of all troubles. Troubles that none of the others deserve.

When they reached the Lake House, Rick woke up, trying to rush out of the car.

"Wait," Ander commanded. "Listen, we both want Claire safe," Rick stopped, and tilted his head, weighing Ander's words. "If I tell you to run away and take Claire to a safer place, you will. OK?"

"What do you mean-"

"Just listen to what I say. Don't worry about me. Don't come after me like you did back in Rivera alley. My life is not that worthy."

"What do you mean?" Rick shouted while Ander walked out of the car and slammed the door behind him.

"Just do what I say!" Ander shouted back when Rick came after him. "Leave Gabriela and Aria to me. I'll deal with them even if it costs me my life."