60. Instincts

"Ander!" Rick shouted, "ANDER!!" But he had entered through the open front door, not realizing what he was up to. He'd been holding for too long to care for it anyway.

Stepping into the living room, he found Aria. Sitting beside a sleeping Claire, no - unconscious.

"You bitch!" Screamed he, rushing towards her. "What did you do to her?"

Grabbing her arm, he jerked her up. Rick hurriedly came up behind him. "Just calm down, man."

"The fvck I'm going to calm down!! Can you see what she'd done?" Ander's eyes were red with fury, the ones Rick never saw.

"I didn't do anything!" Aria spoke finally. "I don't know what's happening." Tears ran down her cheeks, her eyes focused on Claire's unconscious body.

Ander shook of anger. Not a word he'd believe by the daughter of the woman who destroyed his life.

"It's useless." Rick blurted, "We know who you are."

Aria didn't hear them, her eyes still tearing up.

"Aria, or should we say Penelope?" That caught her attention. Rick moved towards her, pointing his crooked finger at her, "Where's your mom? Around? You're working for her, aren't you? That's why you're here in Havendell!"

"I don't know anything!" She lied. Ander would've hurt her if his eyes didn't fall on Claire. Her lips were turning to a shade of purple.

Ander loosened his hold on Aria. When he saw Claire squirming a little, he let go Aria altogether. He threw his legs and thumped on the ground beside Claire, his hands gently caressing her cheeks.

"Claire?" He patted lightly, his heart blaring at a terrifying pace. She was cold.

"We have to take her to the hospital," Rick stood behind him, holding Aria's arm as if she would run away. "What have you done?"

Ander didn't believe his eyes. Claire seemed lifeless just a minute ago, now she squirmed a little. Her eyeballs twitching under her lids. He sighed.

Bending down, he kissed on his forehead, "I'm glad you're safe." He murmured against her skin.

She opened her eyes, a hint of a smile on her lips as Ander helped her get up.

Aria and Rick argued in hushed voices. "But I just gave her medicine and a glass of water. Just like Abbey suggested."

"Why?" Demanded Rick.

"She wasn't feeling well. And Abbey's away as Mr. Hunter is in Rivera."

"I don't trust you."

"As soon as she emptied the glass, she fell down."

"You're Gabriela's daughter, aren't you?" Rick raised his voice while Ander and Claire watched them bicker. "You're Penelope. You've been helping that bitch."

"Yes!" Aria said at last. Claire's eyes widened. "Yes, Gabriela is my.. mother. I'm a witch and as old as Ander."

Ander was not surprised that she already knew his real identity.

"What are you saying, Aria?" Claire's voice shook as she forced the words out of her mouth. Ander inspected her carefully. Wanting to ask if she was alright.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. I couldn't change that." Aria mumbled to herself.

"You're putting your own friend in danger?" Ander asked with a bitter tone.

She looked up, her eyes wide with horror. "I'd never do that to her. I'm not helping my... I'm not helping Gabriela."

"Just take her away," Ander dismissed and turned back to Claire. She has to know everything. He'll tell him and together they'd find a way-

"It's the amulet." Claire looked Ander in the eye and said, grabbing the pendant in her hands, "The amulet is cursed."

"Are you... But, Dora gave this to you."

"No, this one is different. I think someone must have replaced.." She trailed off as she looked up at Aria.

Ander gritted his teeth as he turned to look at Aria. She shook her head, her brows confused.

"Just take her away, Rick! Dora will be here soon. We'll destroy it. It's over."

"No.." Claire squirmed, kicking her legs and trying to get the pendant off with both her hands. It was choking her.

He tried to pry off her hands from her throat but the pendant tightened on it. "Leave it," Ander snaked his arm around her neck and tried to broke it off.

"It's trying to take over me," Claire whined.

She appeared so helpless, her eyes brimming with big tears. Ander held her gaze for a moment to understand what she was trying to tell.

"We have to... destroy it.. now."

"Yes," Ander said. The amulet came off as he snatched it forcefully, throwing it across the room.

Ander had kept the witch dagger with him, just in case. Removing it from his belt, he tightened it in his fist and stood up to move towards it. A witch dagger can cut into witchcraft, he thought.

Rick was about to reach the door with Aria when she shouted, "Don't do it."

"Do what?" Rick halted with her.

"The amulet, don't-"

"Why should we trust you?" Ander questioned.

"Because-"

"Just stop it, Aria." Claire cut in, "Please. If you ever cared about me, save me from the suffering. I am tired." She met Ander's eyes, asking him to continue.

"If that what your instinct says, Ander." Aria pressed on every word as if trying to tell him something else.

Ander held the ground, pondering over Aria's words.

'My instincts? Had Gabriela been controlling me too? Was I tangled in her plans as well?'

He ignored her and walked towards the root of all his troubles. One stab and that piece would break.

One stab and Claire will be fine.

One stab and Gabriela will be gone.

The amulet was cursed indeed. Every time Gabriela spoke through Claire, she wore that pendant. Every time Gabriela tried to take over...

Ander knew.

Ander always knew. He felt her breathing. He felt her heart beating, struggling whenever Gabriela overpowered her. His connection told him so. His senses tingled with confirmation every time. His instincts...

Ander's gazed Aria, his eyes asking her a silent question. Aria nodded, decoding his doubt-filled query.

His instincts...

'What were they telling me now?'

He closed his eyes, breathing in..

Claire..

Her fast pacing heart hummed in his ears.

"Ander," Claire said, "Destroy it."

His instincts, he followed. Turning towards Claire, raising his dagger, he took fast steps.

Before Claire could contemplate what was happening, a silver dagger sat deep in her heart.