61. Broken Bonds

"ANDER!! NOOO!!" Rich screamed but the dagger in Ander's hand had plunged deep into Claire's chest.

Blood spilled out and around the blade, soaking Claire's tee. Her eyes were open wide - horrified. Ander's own heart skipped a beat. What if he was wrong? Everything happened so fast and he trusted his instincts.

Instincts...

Aria suggested Ander should trust his instincts. Did she use compulsion on him? He looked up at her, a smug smile on her face. Satisfied.

It was Rick who charged towards Ander, "What have you done?"

Ander eyed Claire, not sure if he should as he might have committed a big mistake. But Claire's lips curled up, the sparkle in her eyes unharmed by the dagger that was deep in her chest.

"Was this supposed to hurt me?" She mocked in her real voice. That was indeed Gabriela. In Claire's body.

Her fingers gripped the handle and she pulled it out with such force no harmed bleeding human could. Ander took few steps back. Rick halted in his place. Gabriela smiled at Ander with pride as if she won something. Her eyes then examined the dagger in her hand, Claire's blood dripping off it.

Her smile vanished. Not only she realized it was a witch dagger, her own soul had been impaired.

"What have you done, Andy? I did this for you!" She screamed as she dropped on the floor.

"You never did anything for anyone, Gab."

"No! That's a lie - ah," she withered in pain. Her eyes found Aria standing near the front door. "Penelope, my dear, help me!"

"I'd pass, mother."

Ander and Rick were confused. Gabriela lay on the floor, gasping for air as more blood spilled out of Claire. Ander had to do something before all hopes are lost for Claire. He sat beside her, grabbed the dagger from Gabriela and plunged into her once again.

She screamed. The silent house was filled with her painful begging. And then she turned silent. Claire's body turned pale, her heart calm as a stone. Ander stared her without reaction.

"Ander!" Rick called him as he rushed towards the amulet and grabbed it. "Her soul is trapped here, right?"

Ander nodded, as Aria shouted, "Do it fast!"

Rick threw the amulet and Ander caught it. Closing his eyes and breathing deeply, Ander heard the light thumping of Claire's heart through their bond. She wasn't dead, yet.

Ander locked the chain around her neck and waited. "The rejuvenation potion," Aria murmured as she came closer to Ander, still maintaining her distance. He took the bottle from her hand and emptied it in Claire's mouth, trusting Aria for once.

Still no movement.

"Can you feel her, Ander?" Rick asked as he took a seat beside them, his tone stressed.

"Feel her?" Aria asked but Ander's eyes were closed, trying to sense her again.

Emptiness.

Void of any contact.

Ander opened his eyes and shook his head, "I can't feel anything!"