Chapter 40 - Backstabbing

A gentle shake woke me up. Mom was back. Swinging off the couch, I envelope her in my arms are hug. "Mom.. Jake.." I cried burying my head in her neck. My eyes dampened and lips quivered as the last night's scenes flashed in my mind.

Mom rubbed my back and said, "I know. I know.." I retreated and looked at her, my brows frowned in confusion.

"Eric's son, Rick? He called." she explained. Of course! I had not even bothered to call her. What difference would it make anyway?

"Did Rick call the priest or exorcist? His uncle?" I asked.

Mom had a fresh pair of clothes on, bright ones. She was blooming with sleek makeup and strong perfume. Was she going somewhere? Again? She had just returned. "That's what I want to discuss with you." she said, sounding bored.

My brows creased as I sat back on the couch. Will was nowhere to be seen. He had stayed with me all night. I heard him singing words of comfort in my ears. He said it will be alright. He kept repeating it while I was lost in darkness.

"The exorcism has to be cancelled." she said. I stared her.

"Mom! We have to.."

"Where do you think I was these past few days? Claire, I went to meet someone. Someone who knows what happened in this house and what to do."

Mom took a seat beside me and put her hand on my lap, "He said that Exorcism is the stupidest thing. Unless we want more trouble in our lives.."

"It's the only way... Will said.."

"Will? The Monroe's son?" she uttered his name as it was a disease.

I nodded.

"Poor Claire. You don't know men, Claire. You don't know them yet." she mumbled to herself.

She stood up and walked towards the kitchen. "There will be no exorcism here. And that's final!"

I stood up and turned towards the kitchen, "You want me dead then?"

She stopped in her place, "Dead? No! I'm doing this to save you!"

"How?" I folded my arms and demanded. We were this close to solution and now everything's messing up!

She whipped around and stared in my eyes, "You know the priest will Exorcise you, right?"

I gave a firm nod.

"You know that exorcism on a person can be dangerous."

I nodded again.

"And there is no chance that the demon will be exorcised unless you die."

I scowled. The point of exorcism is that the demon gets exorcised without me being dead.

"No, mom. They'll perform the exorcism on me so that the demon dies. And I stay-"

"Isn't he attached to your soul?"

"Yes, that's why we have to-"

She didn't let me complete again, "You have to understand! If demon dies, so would you! What else does 'attached' mean?"

I snapped my mouth shut. How have I not thought about this before?

"The only good thing that will happen from the exorcism is that the spirits will be free! You will die in exorcism and so will the demon. Or whatever worst that can happen to him."

"But Will said.."

"Dear heavens, you still don't get it, Claire?"

I frowned, "What-"