Chapter 44 : Ruins and Remains

Ron Hunter sat in his wheelchair as the backyard was swarming with people dressed in black. They came up to him and give him their condolences. It was a sad day.

Jake stood beside his dad, in a black suit. He clasped his hands in front as tear strolled down his cheeks silently. Together they watched the coffin lowered down in the backyard.

Jake's eyes were filled with heavy regret. 'Only if he had heard his sister, he wouldn't be seeing such a day.' But time once lost, is lost forever. Nothing can be done other than closing the tough chapters and beginning new ones.

At least his sister was now safe, he consoled himself. She was alive.

A lady approached him. She was so old that she could barely walk. She just took his hands in her and kissed it.

"I'm sorry that you have to see such a day." she said as her own eyes glimmered with tears.

Jake nodded.

Theodora realized Claire's brother didn't know her. "I'm Mr. Monroe's grandmother, Theodora."

"Jake." he said and then pointed towards a man beside him sitting on the wheelchair, "This is my father, Ronald."

"Sorry for your loss." Theodora said and retreated backwards.

Her eyes couldn't accept what she saw. She regretted everything that happened in the house. She'd known. She'd lived with the tragedy inside of her. Ander Booth was her elder brother, after all.

She regretted what happened to him and what he had gone through. She regretted each and every lives he took. She regretted helping him, providing him girls through renting the cursed house.

She's suffering still, with all the dark memories haunting every moment of her life. But she was relieved for one thing.

Claire.

They had lost her. Almost. But Claire's heart began beating miraculously. And the curse broke the moment her heart stopped beating. It stopped for few minutes but that was enough. She'll live, although with a rock on her heart but she'll live.

Theodora had a visit to pay. She, along with her caretaker drove to the city hospital as the sun dipped down into the seas faraway, leaving the sky with pools of purple and black shades.

Theodora remembered the first time Claire mentioned Will. Theodora wasn't sure at first but she knew Claire wasn't talking about her great grandson but her own brother.

Theodora was surprised to find Ander himself brought Claire to her for exorcism. He loved Claire so much that he was ready to suffer for infinity. Theodora knew that the curse will break this time if Claire dies.

The nurse guided them to the room. Theodora hesitated at first but finally opened the door.

"Dora!" his eyes found her standing at door and lit up like Christmas.

"My Andy." she let out a happy cry as her caretaker helped her reach the bed. She threw her weak arms around his strong ones and cried.

"You're acting like a grandma." Ander laughed. Grace, her caretaker walked out of the room giving them privacy.

"Hush," Theodora scolded, "Just because you get to stuck in young age doesn't mean you make fun of me."

"Even when I grow old, I'll act this sassy."

Theodora shook her head as she took a seat on the bed beside him.

"How do you feel, Andy?" she asked in a serious tone.