Reasons Why Kakashi Hatake Hates Genin

Kakashi Hatake didn't hate children.

Contrary to popular belief, he didn't mind the mini-adults all that much. Sure, they were loud and didn't understand what the words 'personal space' meant, but they were cute and their hearts were usually... mostly... sometimes in the right place.

It was Genin Kakashi hated.

None of them understood what the hell they were getting themselves into, which was to be expected. They were children and in a time of peace, after all, no need to traumatize them by getting them desensitized to blood and misery as soon as possible. But that wasn't the main issue. The rose tinted glasses were only part of the problem, with the rest of it being the fact that none of the teams he had been given had any skill.

The first team he had been given (read: forced upon him by the Hokage), was a team of civilian-borns. That in itself wouldn't have been that bad, except none of his 'students' had any redeeming skills or personality traits whatsoever. He failed them halfway through the bell test because they were just that bad.

The second team was somehow even worse. More civilian-borns with no skills or likable qualities. The only good thing about them had been the fact they were much quieter than his last batch of victims-students.

By the time a third trio of canon fodder had been forced upon him, Kakashi had realized there was a pattern in the team assignments; each team had the same general dynamic and makeup. The members were usually a loudmouth, a quiet kid and a token girl (usually a fangirl of whoever was considered 'most attractive' in their class). And it wasn't just his teams. Everyone got that set-up, even if the team members had different personalities than the ones Kakashi had gotten stuck with and actual skills.

The third team failed as well. And the fourth. And the fifth. And the sixth, seventh, and eighth. Every team was the same basic snot-nosed academy brats, and every team failed to grasp the meaning of the bell test and something as simple as teamwork. He was starting to wonder if the academy had just gone that down hill, or if he was cursed.

'Well, you know what they say.', Kakashi thought tiredly as he skimmed over his Icha Icha Paradise novel, listening to the Hokage drone on about the team assignments.

'Ninth time's the charm.'

"... and that's the assignment for Team Six. Next is Team Eight, consisting of Kiba Inuzuka, Hinata Hyuga and Shino Aburame, led by Kurenai Yuhi. Team Nine is already in rotation. Team Ten is Shikamaru Nara, Ino Yamanaka, and Choji Akimichi, led by Asuma Sarutobi. That is all for team assignments. You're all dismissed.", the Hokage said. Everyone nodded and started meandering out of his office.

Kakashi didn't fail to notice how he skipped over Team Seven. This worried him. He knew Team Seven wasn't in rotation, because it was his team. The team he always got thrust upon him. The team he had been on back before Kanabi bridge... before everything fell apart...

Kakashi shook his head and started to leave when he realized he was one of the only Jonin left in the office. The Hokage's office was no place to get lost in thought. Maybe Team Seven was being assigned to someone else for once. Maybe he wouldn't have to waste his time failing another team.

But he knew he wasn't that lucky.

"Kakashi, a word.", the third ordered, even though he phrased it like a question. Kakashi exhaled through his nose, put his book down and walked back up the Hokage's desk.

"Yes, Lord Third?", he inquired politely. The Hokage looked around the now empty office and waved his hand to beckon him closer. Kakashi was confused, but did as he asked and came closer. The Sarutobi clan head gave him an intense look. He almost looked... worried.