16: Reality

Sukuna's POV:

I didn't understand her actions, and I couldn't see through her powers. There was nothing predictable about this woman.

Her skin tone was slowly returning to normal after having been drained from healing the brat, and her breath was finally evening out.

She clearly wasn't a curse of any sort, but she didn't seem fully human.

I sat here observing from afar, fighting back the urge to ask for time with her. I hated asking him for anything.

A nuisance was all he was, and now I was somehow dependent on him.

The boy broke me out of my internal debate, "She's already almost healed..."

I couldn't tell if he was talking to himself or hoping for a response, but the glaringly obvious observation left me annoyed.

"Sukuna," he started again. "What was the devil mark on her? Who do you think gave it to her?"

To be honest, I'd thought about this quite a lot myself. I couldn't even remember the last branding I'd seen. Those times seemed so distant now.

But I guess some things never change.

"There's more to the world of sorcery than you'll ever know, kid."

"So you know?" he asked. "But I don't even think Gojo knew."

I rolled my eyes. I knew more than that blindfolded mess ever could... but I also wasn't convinced he was completely clueless about Y/n.

"It's from the dark days," Itadori's statement was probably innocent, but it struck a nerve, so I made my point. "There are higher ups and clan leaders like Gojo, but there's more behind the scenes."

"Like?"

"People with generational wealth and power who prefer to stay out of the spotlight," I explained. "Families who have been carving the pathway of sorcery for centuries.

"In the dark days, they hunted and killed anyone with irregular bloodlines or unexplainable cursed techniques. Purifying is what they called it.

"If they wanted to keep you alive for whatever reason, you were branded devil. So if you ever escaped, they knew how to find you eventually."

He rested back in his chair, still staring at her sleeping body, "So she's not a pure sorcerer? I don't get it. I mean, neither am I. Neither is Nanami. Nobara."

Honestly, I didn't fully understand it either. I didn't think anyone from the dark days was still around. And even if their lineage did make it through, I definitely didn't expect them to still be purifying.

One thing was for sure though.

"At the very least, someone's afraid of what she's capable of," I noted.

"Are you?"

I couldn't help but smirk a little to myself.

The only part of her I feared stemmed from my inexplicable feelings for her.

Her powers though? As raw and untapped as they may be, they couldn't touch me.

Not yet.

"No," I answered.

Still, I didn't mind chaos. Unlike this world of order and hierarchy and bloodlines, and a force such as Y/n would easily send the delicate structure of sorcery into a spiral.

I had seen so many fall victim to the dark days, labeled as devils, suffering a fate too torturous for me to bother to recount to Itadori.

And deal with that existential crisis? No thanks.