37: A FRAUDULENT FAVOR

"I see... I'm glad that he chose to forgive you. Thank God he still loves you." The woman said, sighing in relief after hearing what she said to her. This made Rachelle frown at her, what exactly is she implying?

It's as if there's something in her words that she couldn't figure out.

The old woman smiled at her, it was so sweet like honey dripping at the same time it was also warm. But then again, Rachelle hardly knows her as she's not from this world. "If only you didn't persuade the Duchess to accompany you to the palace, it would have never happened." She said, dropping the bomb to Rachelle.

"What?" She uttered, Bewildered at her statement. 'Is she blaming me for the cause of the Duchess' death?' She thought to herself as her face turned dismayed, didn't like what she had said to her.

But of course, Rachelle had to filter her expressions with a kind and vibrant look just so the woman in front of her wouldn't notice how confused she was with the words being thrown at her.

'Excuse me? Is she blaming me once again?' she couldn't help but think of it. "Sadly yes darling. The grand Duchess died because you asked for something but oh well, we can't do anything with it now. I shall pray for her soul to rest and you should too, ask forgiveness from your father." She told Rachelle proudly, acting like a saint.

"But no worries dear, I'm sure your father still loves you. Please don't lose hope, whatever the problems are they will just pass by." She even added, trying to lull her as if her words didn't have poisons contaminated.

"I see..." Rachelle uttered, clearing her throat and smiling back, she was forcing a smile at this old lady who was blaming her just like the others. Wow, what a hypocrite.

"I'm sure they will eventually find time to forgive you." She replied, drinking the tea in her hand. Rachelle just sat there quiet, alarmed and feeling disgusted. How dare she bring up that topic and shun her?

"Oh, and uhm... Since I was your nanny and basically the one who cared for you since your childhood... May I ask for a favour?" She added, couldn't seem to wait any longer and just blurted out what she had planned.

To which Rachelle just nodded her head, didn't have to say anything. She's betting her soul to the devil that this woman thinks she can have something in return for her service years ago and blatantly disrespects her inside the mansion.

"I know that I'm already far too old and have long been replaced by someone new and young to care for you, but I hope you will take into account the years I've been through raising you while others turned their backs on you..." The old woman started, acting pitiful towards Rachelle.

'As if I'm letting myself fall in that act.' Rachelle commented while smiling fakely at the old woman. "What is it, Madame Norwagen?" She asked, lifting the tea cup while watching the sly woman hiding her hideous grin off her face.

"You see darling, we're currently on a tight budget for the year... My son, who is very diligent and intelligent is currently facing a financial problem because of his studies." She stated.

"Currently, we're being held back because of his academic problems. Thus I ask you from the bottom of my heart to let me lend at least 500,000 gold to suffice ourselves in this cold year. I am already old and my income is not stable, so is my husband." She tried to play the pity card on her, wiping her tears as she told the story to Rachelle.

But Rachelle on the other hand had long suspicion. Her income is not sufficient? That's bullshit. From someone who's working at the Duke's palace as a tutor, it doesn't suffice.

"Oh dear... I'm sad to hear about your life situation, Baroness Norwagen-"

"Please, just call me your Nanny Hilde... You've been calling me so formal when I am just a mere Baron. I am your nanny, Miss Felicia. You ought to be informal to me since the both of us have a history together." The Baroness told Rachelle, smiling at her as if she was trying to win her off.