TVD - Prologue

SAMAIRA

My eyes straddled to my reflection in the mirror, dressed in this coral-coloured dress, the makeup artist was perched on my hair, braiding it with such efficiency that it wouldn't escape the lost hold.

She pined the brooch in my hair with her hand running till the last tip of my hair, her palm pressing my shoulders, checking, while she met my gaze in the mirror, "Kunwari- sa, you are looking beautiful," She announced.

But I glimpse nothing new in my reflection, the same person with the same effort put forward by one of the stylists handling, decoring me to showcase the highest bidder.

The royal party of Jodhgarh was alive, I was reminded through and through that I must be late, to make a grand entry. So the eyes of royalty can catch my sight, I will sweep the floor beneath them, so they can keep their baits for me in the marriage.

I was a woman of royalty, I was not a person, I was a property.
And my representation will authorize me with the highest profit, roosted for my father's investment in me.

I was brought up with the extraordinary life of a princess, daughter of the king of Jodhgarh in Rajasthan. And thoroughly taught in my young years that my purpose of me is to bring a great man into the family, and my responsibility to that man would be to provide an heir.

A successor-creating machine, my mom recalls, and today was the day I would be announced to the world, with my grand entrance that this princess was ascended for sale.

I turned around, passing a sweet smile to the woman hauling me with her eyes in the mirror.
The party lived down, door to my room was knocked twice before it was opened by the servant side of the door on my nod,

My brother, Somvarth standing with an anxious eye on me, "Ready, sister?" he asked me, his eyes wandering my appearance. "You are looking beautiful," he complimented, his words sounded formality for what our relationship was ever since he was grooming to be the next king of Jodhgarh.

"Thank you, you look handsome too," I complimented back, and he smiled dipping his head, dressed in a blue suit that had golden work on it with black pants and his freshly polished shoes.

I stepped towards him, my hand clutched on his arm that he offered me, and walked me towards the stairwell I was going to descend, in a rare view of all the guests.

My breath hitched when I met the edge of the stairs, and my brother kept his warm hand on mine, "You will be alright, it's not your first party."

"Yes, but it's my twenty-third birthday, I am qualified to be the wives of men below us now, and all of them will eye my moves to decide if I am worth warming their beds or not," When my words arrow my brother's hand turned tighter on me. His eyes looking straight with hatred in the eyes.

He descended the stairs, and the soothing music running in the background went through my heart and stopped the pounding in my chest.

"Any man misbehaves? You come to me, Sammy,"

"Don't call me that, Raja Saheb will hate it," I told him and he smiled, "You will forever be Sammy!" he spoke and gave a nod. When the stairs were halfway and now I was in the sight of people, I felt the heads rising to evaluate me.

All of them ran their eyes on my body length, and I met all of the gazes. At the foot of the stairs, my eyes halted on the man who was lingering on the pillar, with a champagne flute in his hand, his eyes ran to my face and halted there. Not once did he take them away to straddle my body and check if I was worth being his successor-creating machine.

I felt my brother's hand holding my pinky finger when he made me realise to turn my eyes over the crowd, following the command I did what a dutiful daughter does in a royal family bent to the men's needs.