Chapter 19

Katherine came out of the mansion with a basket in her hands. In the basket there were different types of sweets baked by her personal maid, Anne.

She was going to visit her mother today after so many years. In one of her hand was a beautiful bouquet of flowers in full bloom.

She has just stepped out of the gate Lucas called her "Sister, if you're going meet your mother I can accompany you".

She looked behind and shook her head at him.

"I can go by myself" she said with a tone of finality in her voice.

Hearing the cold reply Lucas stopped in his tracks and stood like statue. He sulked there while she turned and went to the carriage not know that a big surprise was waiting for her.

She stepped inside the carriage and sat not noticing the other person in the carriage until he spoke "It you will not be aware of your surroundings like this, you might get in big troubles Irene"

She startled looked at her side to see Xander sitting their watching her like a hawk.

She frown at his sight and said "I"

But before she could continue he said "But you don't need to worry I will always get you out of them"

"Get out" she said.

"What if I don't?" he said while giving her teasing look.

"I...I.., just get out" she sighed.

"You can't even threaten me, but I will be going with you, as you know that you are to naive to be left alone"

"Move the carriage" he said to the driver.

Katherine was just staring at him.

"I know that I am just too handsome but you should not stare like that otherwise"

He said turning to her .

He leaned at her as she leaned back till her back touched the wall of the carriage.

"I don't know what I will do" he said with a mischievous smile on his face that said He will cause trouble.

Where he was having fun teasing his fiancée seeing her reactions, she was sweating profusely at his close proximity.

They were really close as if even one of then moved just an inch their noses would be touching.

Katherine tried to push him but who is she kidding, In front of him she is like a mouse in front of a lion. She admits he is stronger than her.

After some time he stood up by himself and again sat beside her but still close.

Katherine not able to say or do anything just sat in silence.

Even if she sat in silence the people in her mind didn't. Her familiars were making weird faces and laughing loudly inside her head.

Getting tired of all the fuss they were making she cut of the mana supply going to them. As soon as the mana supply stopped they both sat and made whining sounds making her start it again.

Sometimes she doubts if her familiars really are the legendary spirits or not.

Soon the carriage arrived at the hill where her mother was buried.

Xander stepped down before and stretched his hand out for her to take which she refused and stepped down by herself.

Xander used to this kind of attitude just followed behind her to the top of the hill.

Katherine reached her mom's grave and kneeled down. She put out some sweets and the flowers to put there but found some shrivelled flowers there too. She looked at then confused.

Looking at her Xander said "In your stead I put them there".

She looked at him who was standing behind her.
'Does he..'

"Don't misunderstand anything, I just admire your mother a lot that's why" he said.

"Do you knew my mother when she was alive?" she asked.

"No, I mean I have never met her"

She nodded her head at his reply.

After talking with air for a while Katherine stood up to go.

It was already afternoon when she stood up.

"Let's go and have lunch, I know a good restaurant here" Xander said to her when she got to the foot of the hill where their carriage was standing.

"I have work to do" she said and disappeared.

Xander sighed looking at the place where she was standing a while ago and then at her mother's tomb which was visible from there.

'Irene, you yourself can never imagine that for how long I have known you and your family' he smiled thinking about the past and also frowned when he remembered those awful memories.

She might not remember anything but he remembers everything .

He stood there for a while before his familiar spirit came with some unpleasant information.

He followed his spirit and reached a cafe .

Inside at a table Ivan and Katherine were seated,chatting.

Seeing this Xander opened and closed his fists, to calm down his anger.

He might not seem like this but in reality he was really short tempered and when someone is trying to something that has long been his made him just too much angry.

"So this was the work she has to do" he said and laughed.

"Master." his lion spirit said.

"Leave it Liam, lets go, I have really good way to get back at him and a good way to lure her here to me at her own" he said as he turned to go with a huge smirk on his face.

_______ _______ _______ _______ _______

Katherine returned home in the evening and as soon as she stepped inside she found Xander and Lucas standing in the hallway.

Lucas was looking really angry while Xander's face was having his usual smirk plasted to it.

Not paying heed to any of them she marched to her own room.

Anne was waiting for her inside the room, she has already prepared a bath for her.

Katherine took a refreshing bath and went downstairs to  eat dinner not expecting the scene she saw as soon as she entered.