Only Hvitserk

"I have been looking for you," Hvitserk spoke in a loud voice as he approached the young women. He noticed she was sitting staring at the fire, it was like she was in a trance. He sat beside her as she kept still and silent. "Iona," he placed a hand on her arm. 

Turning her head to look at him, she stared with wide eyes. "I hate that name." The words left her lips without thinking, she furrowed her brows as she looked at her friend who was smiling. "I hate that name?"

Hvitserk put an arm around her and pulled her close to him. "You do hate your name," he confirmed as he smiled widely. Placing a kiss on her forehead, he was happy to hear something that she would normally say. "I never thought I was would be happy to hear you say that." 

Looking up at her friend, she snuggled closer to him. "Why do you seek me out? Why do you stay by my side when your brother is out there?" 

"My brother is a complicated man, you don't know that right now but you do know." He spoke cryptically about Ivar as he ran his fingers gently through Little Bear's hair. "But you," he looked at the fire as he spoke. "There is something about you that makes me want to look after you. I have always needed you." 

The blonde pulled out of his grip and looked at him up at him. "Why?"

"Honestly," Hvitserk looked at the girl before him. Even with her changes from her recent attack, she was still as beautiful as the day she arrived in Kattegat. Her body and face had changed, but he wanted nothing more than to hold her close, to keep her safe. "You are the most interesting person I have ever met."

Iona didn't feel wonderful, interesting or anything really. She felt empty and lost. 

"Soon we are going to leave," Hvitserk told her. "I want you to come with us," he explained with a serious face. "I can't leave you here."

Tucking her hair behind her ears, Little Bear looked at the fire. "It sounds like I don't have a choice," she held his hand in hers and put her head on his shoulder. "But I will do whatever you want me to do." She smiled at she spoke. "I will do anything for you, Hvitserk. You are the only person I trust right now."

Hvitserk reached up and pushed her hair away from Iona's face and tucked some hair behind her ear. "I trust you," he said quietly as he looked into her eyes. He was in two minds about Little Bear. He trusted her, he'd always trust her and defend her but he was afraid, afraid that she'd remember everything when she saw Ivar. "I only want you to be safe, staying with me is the best way."

The young blonde stared into the hazel eyes of Hvitserk, she took in all the different colours which caught her attention. She swallowed hard as she glanced down at his lips for a second, she noted how they were thin, thin and pale. When their eyes reconnected, she took a deep breath, "I-" the words caught in her throat as she looked at him. 

He'd noticed the way her eyes moved and where they looked, he noticed her nervousness and how she looked uncomfortable. Her lips tinted a dark pink where she blushed a little and watching her reaction made Hvitserk smile. "I know you don't remember your life from before but..." he wanted nothing more than to kiss her and he could see she wanted that too, but he knew better, he knew he shouldn't, he couldn't. "But I know you, I know this isn't what you really want."

"People change," the blonde said as she reached out and gently placed her hand on his cheek. "Do you not think I could change?" She was quiet as she asked the question, her gaze was intense as she looked into his eyes.

The tension was thick, Hvitserk loved the feeling of her beautiful, delicate skin on his, he wished he could kiss her without the guilt over taking him. He knew Ivar was not like Ubbe, if anything was to happen between himself and Little Bear, he knew Ivar would know immediately, he'd murder him quicker than a flash.

Her hand gently stroked his cheek before she leaned closer, her lips mere centimeters from his. "Tell me you don't feel it," she whispered as she stared up into his eyes. "Tell me you don't want me, tell me it's all in my head." Little Bear swept her hand down his face, stroking his cheek and chin before moving down and resting on his chest. 

Laying his hand over hers, he let out a sigh before placing a kiss on her cheek ignoring her advances. He stayed close to her before whispering in her ear, "I long to taste the sweetness of your lips, I long to be close to you but..." His breath was hot on her skin and he noticed her shiver. "We can never..."

She turned her head, her eyes were full of passion and lust as she stared at Hvitserk. Her heart was beating loudly and her lips gaped open a little as she awaited his decision. His fingers drummed on his chest with the beat of his steady quickening heart, her touch was soft and the look on her face with understanding. Hvitserk's eyes looked over her face, for a moment his eyes lingered on the nasty scar on her cheek, he thought she was beautiful even with the addition. 

Little Bear couldn't wait any longer, leaning closer, she pressed her lips against his, closing her eyes. She was surprised at how he quickly responded to her, closing his own eyes and returning the kiss, his hand pushing her closer to him at the waist. There was something, a slight fuzzy feeling which ghosted over Iona's skin as she allowed herself to get lost in the moment, but there was no immediate spark like she hoped. Her fingers on her right hand played in her hair and her left hand served as a way to keep him close, tugging slightly on the furs that he wore. 

He was the first to pull away, the end the kiss. Little Bear watched as his lips curled into a smile as his hand released her waist before leaning his forehead against hers. "This is a dangerous game." The words slipped from his lips before he could take it back.

Iona stared into his eyes, hers were filled with lust and longing. "Tell me, Hvitserk, is this a game you like playing?"