9: Cold Feet (Henry)

Henry helps a very hungover Alex into the cab to the airport. Liam had stayed the night in the guest bedroom and Henry puts him in the back with Alex, as Henry takes the passenger seat, since he's the only one really awake. Alex is quiet, and, as the sun starts to rise, he puts on the sunglasses on that Henry had left out for him.

Last night, Alex was carried in by Pez and Liam. They were both drunk, but not wasted like Alex. Pez offered to stay to help, but Henry said he could handle it, so he went back to his hotel. Alex smelled like vomit. Henry had never seen Alex in something like what he was wearing that night, but as attractive as it was, it was hard to enjoy over the stench and vomit it was covered in. Liam helped get Alex to the bathroom and then Henry sent him to bed: partly because he was clearly drunk and partly because he didn't really want his fiancé's ex to see Alex naked. Henry stripped Alex down, then himself, and held Alex up in the shower as he washed him with a facecloth. Alex could barely hold his head up, and at one point he puked again, right there in the shower and got some on Henry, but luckily it looked like that helped a bit and he was able to stand a bit better afterwards. Henry didn't bother dressing either of them, just patted them down the best he could with a towel and collapsed into the bed with Alex. Then he had to get back up because he realized he'd forgotten to put the trash can by the bed.

Luckily Alex hadn't needed it, so Henry didn't have to clean that up in the morning. He took another quick shower because he felt like the puke smell was still on him, and let Alex sleep a little bit longer before waking him.

The cab ride is nearly silent. Both Liam and Alex are dosing. Henry stares at the road ahead, thinking about his future. He is about to be a husband, something he has wanted his entire life but had never thought he could have until Alex. Sometimes Alex is such a dream come true that Henry forgets their relationship isn't always a dream. Alex is clearly struggling with something, and Henry wonders– is it about the wedding? Is he having cold feet about marrying Henry? Henry never would've thought that about Alex, but it has to be something. Alex never drank that much– he had learned his limits a long time ago and liked to stay at the level of intoxication where he could still have fun. They had come home from Alex's bachelor party much earlier than they said they would, before it even hit midnight, clearly because Alex could no longer stand. Henry was so worried at first that they might have to take Alex to the hospital, but he looked better after showering and puking. Though Henry still kept waking up in the night to check that Alex was breathing.

The airport is slow at 5:30am. They get through security quickly; Alex puts a hand on Henry's shoulder for support as he leans down to take off his shoes. Gratefully, he is walking straight as he goes through the metal detector.

They have tickets in first class, and David is with them, a little anxious. But he is quiet throughout the flight, curled up by Henry's feet. As is Alex–quiet, that is–sleeping through most of the flight.

---

From the airport, they go to the Diaz house just to drop off their bags and change, and then they have to head out to see the venue. They stop to get Alex another cup of coffee on the way there. Henry doesn't try to talk to him yet; he knows it's pointless until at least after his second cup, not that he knows what to say to his fiancé anyways.

The excitement for the wedding Henry felt at his own bachelor party starts to fade away as they pull up the long dirt drive to the outdoor venue. They had already started setting up the chairs. So many chairs. Rows and rows of chairs covering the lawn. From above, Henry suspects it looks like a large patch of the field was growing some pristine white crop, enough to feed all of Austin. The aisle down the center looks to be a mile long.

Henry's heart starts to beat faster in his chest. He turns to Alex, still wearing the sunglasses and now a cowboy hat he had picked up from the house as well. He looks a little better, but it's all clothes: crisp new jeans that hug his ass in just the right way, denim button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled just above his elbows, and black cowboy boots to match his hat. Alex looks so sexy as a cowboy. Henry lets that distract him as he takes a few deep breaths and his heart rate slows from his previous panic. Alex doesn't seem to notice.