16: Out of Orbit (Alex)

After the first dance and the two mother-son dances, Elton John had stuck around for a whole set through most of the dinner, and was now taking a break having some food at one of the tables. Henry, of course, had to talk to him. They went up together, but as Henry and Elton dove into a conversation, Alex stepped away.

He isn't feeling too hot. He was hungry, and ate his dinner fast, asking the staff to bring him out some extra food. And now he has a stomach ache (probably from eating too fast), but also a terrible headache. He thinks to ask someone for some Advil but shit, he's already had a few drinks so he shouldn't mix it. He is done mixing pills and booze. He wonders if the headache is from the drinking, but he hasn't drank much and a few glasses of alcohol never gave him a headache before.

He feels like he needs to just get away from everyone, so he steps outside into the warm Texas air. Technically the tent is outdoors too, but the air inside feels stuffy surrounded by so many people. Here, with the view of the plains he grew up with, he feels like he can breathe, until he hears footsteps behind him.

He turns to see Pez.

"What are you doing out here, Alex?"

"I'm just... I got a headache. A bad one. I just needed a minute."

"So you left Henry alone?"

"He's with Elton having a great time; I'll be back by his side before he even notices I'm gone."

"I'm pretty sure he's already noticed. You're like his sun, Alex. He orbits himself around you, and when you're gone, he's thrown off course."

"You don't give him enough credit. He's stronger than that. He handled himself fine for years before me."

"No, Alex, he didn't manage fine. You know how he struggled, how he still struggles. He used to rely on me, but then you came into his life, and now he relies on you."

"What are you jealous or something, Pez? You've never seemed like–"

"No, I'm not jealous, Alex. I just need to trust that you're going to take care of him now. I thought you were, but then..."

"But then I left his side for one-second–"

"This is a day all about the both of you, as a couple, and how you will always be there for each other and you..." Pez is getting heated, but seems to stop himself before he says something he can't un-say. But Alex already knows the ending to that sentence.

"I am there for him. I am and will always be here for him, Pez!" He couldn't hold back all the anger, and it's hard to think with his headache. "I am his husband now, you think I don't take my vows seriously!? Just because I have a GOD-DAMN HEADACHE and needed A FEW GOD-DAMN MINUTES outside!?!"

"It's not about the headache and you know it!" Pez seemingly implies to know more about Alex's lack of attentiveness to Henry than he's saying.

"I see," Alex says knowingly... "I get the chance at my dream. And because it's not at a good time, I'm supposed to what? Just let it pass me by? Give it up? Henry doesn't want me to do that! We just have to make it through another month, and then it all goes back to normal, or better! We just have another month. Just a month. One fucking month. One."

Pez stares at him, seemingly at a loss for words. Alex slows his huffing, but his heartbeat still feels like a woodpecker in his chest. He's tired; he has been all day, but he's finally slowing down enough to feel it. His joints ache, and his knees feel weak. He needs to sit. Apparently he shows it.

"Are you alright, Alex?" Pez takes a few steps towards him and puts out his arms as if to steady Alex. Alex reaches for him, and nearly falls, but Pez has him under the arm. The lack of sleep must be getting to him, he didn't sleep at all last night, and it's been months now since he's had a full-night's rest. But it is fine, a week-long recharge during the honeymoon, then just one more month, and it all goes back to normal. Better: he's married and would soon be the next House Representative for the State of New York, he truly believes that. He just has to hold on a little longer.

His head is still killing him, but he agrees with Pez that they should go back inside. He finds Henry, thankfully still engaged with Elton, though he looks very relieved to see Alex. Alex takes a seat next to them, and lets Henry fill him in on what they had been talking about. Then it's time for Elton's final set.

He starts with Crocodile Rock and people get up to dance this time. Henry asks him if he wants to, and god does Alex want to oblige his new husband, but everything hurts.

"I'm sorry, love. Not this one, give me a few." Gratefully Bea comes over and pulls Henry out to dance. Pez circles back around and sits next to him.

He turns to Alex and whispers, "Seriously, man. Are you alright?"

Everything in Alex screams to answer how he always does: I'm fine. But after the talk they just had, he knows Pez would just be more mad at Alex if he believed Alex is fine. "Not great, to be honest," he admits. "Just give me a few, and help me keep Henry distracted. I don't want to ruin this for him."

Pez gives Alex a sidewards glance, but says nothing more because June has come over, asking Pez to dance. Alex watches Henry dance with his sister, and June dance with Pez. He feels like he isn't fully present, and he wants to be. It's his wedding for fuck's sake.

He's grateful the cameras are gone though, just two of the private videographers and a few  photographers left. He hopes none of them will capture him looking like how he currently feels.

The song changes to "I'm Still Standing". Nora starts dancing with June; Pez goes over to Henry, thankfully keeping him engaged as Alex had asked. Alex reaches over to June's purse and pulls out the 5-hr energy he stored in there. He takes it like a shot, and gives it one more song to kick in.

He can't sit here any longer without worrying Henry, so he forces his knees to straighten as he slowly stands, just in time for the opening of "Rocket Man". He sways slowly with Henry, holding him close. Many eyes are still on them, it is their wedding after all.

Finally, Elton closes with "Can you feel the love tonight" and Alex wishes he could feel more of the love in his heart and less of the pain in his head.

——

Alex tries to hold it together, but he only feels worse as the night goes on. He can't think, his head feels all foggy, and his joints feel like they need oil or something– god is he really getting that old?

It finally gets to the point of the night where the DJ is just spinning crowd-pleasers before everyone has to leave. Alex excuses himself to the bathroom to freshen up. He splashes cold water on his face, downs another 5-hr energy, and straightens up his suit and hair, but doesn't feel any better afterwards.

Thankfully, the night is wrapping up. Some people had already left and those who hadn't were being handed sparklers and directed to line up. Alex finds Henry in a quiet conversation with Pez. He seems a bit upset, Pez is shaking his head at him, and then directs Henry's eye towards Alex. Alex tries his best to plaster on his usual smile.

"Darling!" He says, stepping up to grab Henry by the elbow. "Ready for our grand exit?"

Henry's not smiling. He wears that worried nervous look that Alex had seen more and more of lately. No matter— tonight starts the honeymoon and Henry would be able to relax. Suddenly Alex feels like he's going to be sick. His stomach twists and he looks down, trying not to show it to Henry.

But of course, "Are you alright, baby?" Henry asks.

Alex looks up and forces a smile as the wave of nausea subsides. "Never better." Henry gives him a look of disbelief. "Ok," Alex admits, "I might have had one slice too many of the cake."

"Well you did eat three, darling. Is that why you didn't want to dance much?"

Henry is unknowingly giving Alex a way out, and Alex is going to take it. "Yes, sorry. So full, it was weighing me down!" Alex tries to sound light.

Then family is surrounding them, saying their goodbyes. Then two by two: Ellen and Leo, Oscar and Catherine, Nora and June, and Pez and Bea make their way down the sparkler-lit path. Alex slips his hand into Henry's, and they run down the line. Face of strangers, friends and family just flashes in the night. A white limo with an open door is waiting for them at the end.

When they get in and the door closes behind them, Alex finally takes a deep breath.