𝟷𝟺. New Year's Kiss

────────── ❆ ❄️ ❆ ──────────

New Year's Eve came along and Noelle kept her promise of attending the Millers residence for the celebration. "How is everything in the North Pole?" Laura asked her daughter as the two moved around the kitchen preparing the dinner. "Everything is great. I have my own place and a great job and the Elves have been so welcoming to my ideas," Noelle answered her mother with a wide smile. "And how are things settling for your father?" Laura questioned. "He's still adapting to the new life at the Pole but Judy and Bernard have worked hard to help him settle into it and understand the Santa Handbook," Noelle explained to her mother.

"How are you and Bernard?" Charlie asked as he walked into the room with a teasing smirk. "Bernard and I are doing well. We've been organising everything to make next Christmas easier on everyone while prepping the Elves for a busier year thanks to the mass belief that spurred from Dad's actions last Christmas," Noelle answered her brother while also changing the topic away from her relationship with Bernard to prevent the teasing comments from Charlie and the more challenging questions from her mother. "It's good to see you happy with someone, Noelle. Bernard seems to have woken something inside you," Laura complimented.

"Bernard has been amazing, Mom. He's sweet and never fails to make sure that I'm happy and comfortable," Noelle expressed to her mother with a dreamy expression. "It's almost as though you were made for each other," Laura said with a wink as Neal walked into the kitchen. "But you are being safe, right?" Neal asked causing the room to go silent. "You are technically nineteen, Noelle. And you'll be technically twenty even if Elves don't physically age and--" Neal was cut off by Noelle, "Please stop! Okay, we haven't even -- And if we did, you would be the last person I would talk to about it. Just... stop." Laura sighed as she looked at Neal who nodded before walking out of the room.

After the awkward conversation, the Millers and Calvin children sat down for their dinner talking about Charlie's school days and how work is going for Laura. For dessert, they had some cake and cookies before they headed to the local park that was hosting New Year fireworks, Charlie had rushed off with friends from school while Laura and Neal joined coworkers and friends leaving Noelle to sneak away from the crowd to avoid questions about her whereabouts but it seemed that she wasn't so sneaky -- either that or this specific person was seeking her out upon noticing the Millers' presence.