𝟷𝟽. Two Years Later

────────── ❆ ❄️ ❆ ──────────

Bernard stood in the Control Center with other elves who were working hard, a plane flew above them tuning in to the sounds that echoed under the ice at the North Pole; With their location under threat, the Elves focused on being ready for any response needed. "They're coming right at us!" An Elf warned Bernard. "Take us to Elfcon three!" Bernard instructed them, and the Elf was quick to follow the order repeating it to the others. Bernard hopped into one of the Control Centre's chairs and began pushing buttons and pulling levers, worry never leaving his face. They all examined the radar for a moment but the plane continued its way.

"These guys aren't stopping," The Elf informed Bernard. "Take us to Elfcon two!" Bernard ordered the Elves, they followed his order immediately. The middle of the room made a hissing sound before it opened up to reveal a platform that held Santa, the big man himself looked through a telescope before turning to the Elves, "We have a partridge in a pear tree! You take us to Elfcon on, let's rig for silent running." The Elves moved quickly to silence the North Pole, they all waited in suspense to see what may happen, their eyes on the radar showcasing the whereabouts of the plane.

"Find out where that music's coming from," Santa ordered the Elves. "Santa, I've got it on the locator," Tommy informed him. Bernard and Santa moved quickly out of the centre and headed straight to the stables where Curtis lay in the sleigh with a dancing Santa in his lap playing music that Curtis was singing along to 'Santa Claus is coming to town'. Santa cupped his hand over Curtis' mouth while shutting off the toy, they stood frozen in silence until an announcement informed them, "We're at Elfcon four. All clear." Santa removed his hand from Curtis' mouth, "Curtis, what do you say we get you headphones this Christmas?" He stepped away and turned to the Elves, "It's all right, everybody. Let's get back to work."

"Curtis, you're nine hundred years old. Grow up!" Bernard snapped at him before Santa called his name, he huffed at Curtis before jogging over to Santa; Curtis rushed up behind them. "You know I didn't break any of the rules -- according to The Santa Handbook--" Curtis informed them before Bernard cut him off, "The handbook! Curtis, do you go pee-pee with that thing?" Curtis glared at Bernard before continuing, "It says Elves are encouraged to listen to music. It makes them more creative, more productive and more alert." Curtis then called out, "Look out!" Santa, Bernard and Curtis ducked as a reindeer flew over them before crashing into an alleyway.

"Is he all right? Wow! That's gonna leave a mark," Santa said before narrowing his eyes to see better, "Is that Blitzen? Looks like Prancer. Who is that?" Curtis smiled, "It was Chet. Ellie's reindeer." Santa nodded at that while Bernard spoke, "A reindeer in training." Santa hummed at that before looking to the two Elves, "Well, please tell me that it's early in his training. Wow, nice fall!" Santa made his way towards the Workshop while Bernard stopped Curtis, "Curtis, when are you gonna tell him?" Curtis shook his head, "Not now!" The two were quick to follow after Santa though it was clear that Bernard was completely on edge, too much going through his mind.

────────── ❆ ❄️ ❆ ──────────

Noelle made her way through the halls of the Workshop now that the Elfcon was back to one, she smiled at the Elves as she walked by them. The sound of babbling made her grin before she spotted Bernard standing with Santa and Curtis, her father working on a red car, she rolled her eyes fondly and made her way over to them. "There you are, my love," Noelle called out, Bernard turned to her and instantly relaxed from his tense stance. "Hello, snowflake," Bernard greeted before he reached out and took the child from her arms, "And hello my son." Noelle grinned widely as Bernard pulled faces as their son, Nicholas.

"He was missing his papa," Noelle told Bernard before kissing his cheek. "And I was missing him too. And my beautiful snowflake," Bernard replied before reaching his free hand out and resting it against Noelle's bloated stomach, "And of course, my little girl." Noelle rolled her eyes, "Why are you so certain it's a girl?" Bernard grinned up at his fiancé, "I was right about Nick, wasn't I?" Noelle scoffed with a smile before turning to Curtis, "Tommy and Felix have some ideas they want to run by you." He nodded and walked away to assist them. "Aren't you supposed to be resting?" Santa told his daughter, they had all been worried about her.

"I'm fine, dad. I can't just sit around all day," Noelle told him before looking around the Workshop, "You've already taken my responsibilities away." Santa hugged his daughter, "There were too many risks with Nicky's birth, we don't want the same to happen. So less stress and more relaxing." Noelle nodded in acceptance, she knew how much Nick's birth had scared everyone considering she had almost been lost to it but the magic of Christmas had saved her and Nicholas. Due to all of this, Bernard and Noelle had yet to have their magical wedding; something they had decided could wait until after their second child has arrived.

"Bernard, take the rest of the night off," Santa told his Head Elf before walking away but Bernard sighed and looked down. "Curtis hasn't told him?" Noelle asked as Bernard moved closer to her, he tucked his almost two-year-old son against his side before wrapping an arm around Noelle, leading her away from the crowd of Elves. "No, he hasn't," Bernard answered her. "Let me tell him, it'll be easier," Noelle offered but Bernard immediately shook his head. "No, it's Curtis' job but it needs to be done tonight so let's find my second-in-command and tell Santa about the new -- very troubling -- information we've learned," Bernard told Noelle who kissed his cheek before allowing him to lead the way.

Of course, Noelle held concerns about the information they had learned however, she was protected by the pledge she made to be the Christmas Spirit. That was something Bernard had been grateful for when he learned about the new clause 'cause if there was a chance that he'd lose the woman he loved and his child because of the new clause, he'd fall apart. He already told himself that he would've given up his immortality to be with her, she was his topmost priority; Noelle and his children were his world, his home. And Noelle knew this but she also knew how much he loved being Head Elf, so she was relieved to learn that he'd be fine; Her father, though, was about to learn about something life-changing.

────────── ❆ ❄️ ❆ ──────────

Rosemary Speaks

THEY HAVE CHILDREN!!
I do not care for those who do not like kids... my book, my choice.
And while I don't want children, Noelle did.

And so it happened. We have Nicholas and the mystery baby;
Any guesses on their gender or name?

Any other questions or thoughts?

See you in the next chapter!