𝟸𝟷. The Santa Handbook

────────── ❆ ❄️ ❆ ──────────

Bernard and Curtis stood in front of Toy Santa who was practising his ho ho ho's in front of his own reflection. "I am Santa Claus!" Toy Santa spoke with a chuckle, "Boo!" He laughed while Bernard looked to Curtis, "Yeah. No, no, I think this is gonna work. Good -- Good job, Curtis." The younger Elf looked up at Bernard with a slight glare, "Would it kill you to give a wholehearted compliment?" Bernard rolled his eyes, "I always do!" Curtis shook his head, "To someone other than Noelle or Nicholas." Bernard waved Curtis off. "Santa? I need you to look at this," Curtis spoke as he held out The Santa Handbook. "All right!" Toy Santa replied, he leaned over to glance at the book, "Nice!"

"No, I mean, I need you to read it," Curtis corrected. "Well, let's try to be more specific, shall we?" Toy Santa replied to Curtis as he took the book, "Ha-ha! I'll take a look at it over at my desk." Bernard furrowed his brows, "How does he know where it is?" Curtis grinned with pride, "I programmed him that way. He has most of Santa's memories." Curtis and Bernard approached Toy Santa who now sat comfortably at Santa's desk with the book laying in front of him. "Ok, we need you to study everything that's in that book because it is the key to being Santa," Curtis instructed Toy Santa. "Right! I'll memorise everything in the book. I'll follow all the rules. 'Cause rules are very important!" Toy Santa assured them.

Abby walked into the office carrying a tray with a mug and teapot, she smiled politely as she reached the desk. "Hi, Santa," Abby greeted with her usual cheery smile. "Uh... Hi," Toy Santa replied glancing at Curtis for his cues. "Oh, you look..." Abby trailed off as she looked at Santa. "Like he got a good night's sleep," Bernard covered with a fake smile on his face. "Like you got a very good night's sleep," Abby said with a grin. "How about a nice chocolatey cocoa?" Abby asked as she poured it from the teapot into the mug, "Careful, it's hot." Toy Santa nodded, "Of course it is." The three Elves watched as Toy Santa finished the drink quickly.

"Whoo! That's delicious! I like cocoa!" Toy Santa cheered, "Cocoa's superior refreshment! Get me some more cocoa!" Abby was positively beaming at Toy Santa, "Right away, Santa." Abby took the tray and headed out of the office while Curtis grinned, Bernard still felt uneasy about all of this. The door opened to reveal Noelle carrying Nicholas, the young boy looked up at Toy Santa and gasped before turning his head into Noelle's neck. "Nik?" Noelle whispered as she stopped, Bernard looked from his son's reaction to Toy Santa, his unease worsening at the knowledge his own son didn't like the Toy Santa. "We're heading home," Noelle told Bernard who nodded, "I'll be home soon." She blew him a kiss before leaving.