𝟷𝟼. Year 2000

────────── ❆ ❄️ ❆ ──────────

It had been five incredible years since life changed for the Calvin's. Scott Calvin took on the mantle as Santa -- Admittedly, he had been hesitant at first. At the same time, Noelle Calvin had proven herself to be Christmas Spirit in human form -- something that no one doubted. And though both missed Charlie -- Scott's son, Noelle's brother -- dearly, they made time to see him in the middle of the year when a majority of the Elves were on break before the chaos of Christmas consumed their time. But it hadn't only been their new jobs that had changed their lives -- or more specifically, Noelle's life.

Noelle and Bernard had now been an official couple for almost five years, the two were happy in love and had moved into Noelle's cabin in their third year of being together. And despite the stress around Christmas time that often tore them apart and left them wanting one another's company while being too tired at the end of the day to do anything more than crawl into bed and sleep -- sometimes Noelle would get home later than Bernard leaving the tired Head Elf to fall into a restless sleep without her by his side. Santa could see that Christmas was becoming a stressful time for the couple and wished to do something about it.

So the 21st century began and despite the chaos that was Y2K, the year 2000 had promises for a new world and a whole new era in technology and education. And so Santa had made the decision to send Noelle and Bernard on a three-month vacation to ensure that their positions in the North Pole wouldn't tear them apart. And so the young couple had packed their bags and on the first of March, they headed out of the North Pole leaving Santa and Curtis in charge of everything; Noelle had ensure that Judy, Abby and Felix were watching over them too.

────────── ❆ ❄️ ❆ ──────────

Their first stop was Chicago, Bernard was beyond ecstatic to see his partner spend time with her mother, step father and siblings, Charlie and Lucy. They stayed with them for two weeks and the family showed Bernard around the city teaching him more about their family traditions and the life in the big city compared to his life in the North Pole. By the end of the two weeks, Noelle's light had returned and she had a new bounce in her step that made Bernard light up too. The couple seemed to have their spark again, their exhaustion faded thanks to the proper sleep they got and they were finally eating properly.

Their next destination was Hawaii, the place was somewhere that Bernard had wanted to visit and Noelle was craving something warm. Upon their arrival, Noelle used her magic to make them appear human to others. When they arrived at the hotel, they were informed that they had the penthouse suite and were given a list of things for them to do as a couple. Noelle's smile never faded as the couple spent the time doing different activities and learning about the culture. On their last night, the couple sat on the balcony with Noelle lying in Bernard's arms as they watched the stars, Noelle falling asleep leaving Bernard awake in his thoughts.