12. Death... and something else

Astrid was three months pregnant and her husband didn't know about his child. It was morning. The sun was shining, Terrible Terros were singing on the roof top and Astrid Haddock woke up with sickness again. Because she was alone in her and her husband's bed no one noised her sickness.
She went downstairs to see her daughter sitting at the kitchen table and drawing something.
"Morning, sweetie."
"Morning, Mom." Mara stood up and hugged her Mom. Since Astrid was captured by Viggo, Mara hugged her every day more often than before. Mara was now even more grateful to have such awesome parents.
"Where's Dad, sweetheart?" Astrid asked her.
"He's outside. Grandpa wanted to see him." Astrid nodded.

Later, they two went to Hiccup.
"Morning, Dad!" Mara ran to her Dad.
"Morning, sweetie." Hiccup stood next to Stoick. They were talking with the other villagers about their problems.

Hiccup's POV:

The morning began with heart to other people's problems. I would rather be with Astrid and Mara. Astrid was kinda sick. I have no idea what it could be.
"Hiccup." Dad called me.
"Yes, Dad?"
"You've been working hard since you became the chief. And I can see you've sank into the whole work. Take this day off. I will do the rest." Dad smiled at me, and I smiled back.
"Thanks, Dad!"

When I came back home, I saw Mara sleeping with her head on the kitchen table. Next to her head was one of her drawings. There were we as a family. She really liked to draw our family.
So, there were Dad, Mara, Astrid and I. And in the background, our dragons. I smiled at my daughter and kissed her forhead. Then I went to my and Astrid's bedroom, hoping to see her there. But she wasn't there.
Suddenly, I heard some strange sounds coming from the washroom. I opened the door and saw my wife throwing up into a bucket.
"Astrid...!" I rushed to her, holding her hair with one hand, and with the other one drawing circles on her back.
"Astrid? What's wrong with you?" She didn't look me in the eyes.
"There's something I have to tell you, Hiccup." She said.
"Honey, please. Tell me."
"Hiccup, I-I-I'm-"
She couldn't speak till the end 'cause big 'BOOM's interrupted her. Someone attacked us.
Was it Viggo? I didn't know.

Third person's POV:

Soon, the village realized that it was Drago Bludvist attacking. He attacked Berk to get his revenge because some mysterious dragon rider stole his captured dragons. But this wasn't any dragon rider from Berk.

"No, Toothless! Don't! Come back! You don't want to hurt me!" Hiccup tried to get Toothless back. A giant dragon was controlling Toothless' mind. The Bewilderbeast.
Toothless was about to shoot at Hiccup when Stoick ran to his son.
"Hiccup!" He shouted. And from then on, everything happened in slow motion. Stoick pushed Hiccup beside and took the shot for him.
"Dad! No! No, no, no...! Dad...!" Hiccup cried. Astrid rushed to his side to confort him a little bit.
"He's gone, Astrid. He's gone..." Hiccup cried even more.

The war was long. Hiccup was on his and his wife's bed. He thought about his father, his family and his home.
"Dad?" Mara stood on the door. She looked worried.
"Yes, sweetheart?" Hiccup put on a fake smile.
"Where's Grandpa?" She asked. He sighed in sadness. Hiccup pointed at his lap, and in the next moment, Mara was sitting there.
"Look, sweetie, um, Grandpa is gone now. And he won't ever come back again." Hiccup sobbed. Mara hugged him thigh.
"Grandpa died?" She cried out. Hiccup just nodded.
"I'm so sorry, sweetheart." He cried into his daughter's hair.
"I'm sorry, too, Dad." They hugged. Mara cried on her Dad's chest. Hiccup looked up and saw Astrid leaning at the door frame and looking at them with a sad smile. She also had tears in her eyes.
"Why?" Astrid heard her daughter crying. She sat beside her husband and Mara on their bed. Hiccup pulled his girls into a hug.
Astrid knew she wasn't able to tell her family about the baby. Not yet. They were too sad about Stoick, and it would be disrespectful to come up with such a message, right? So she has to wait a little longer to tell Hiccup about his baby. But there's a little problem. Her baby bumb started to grow. After all, Astrid is in the third month. Luckily, she's wearing big clothes to hide her belly.

~Timeskip four weeks~

Astrid's POV:

I just came downstairs and saw Hiccup and Mara at the kitchen table having breakfast.
"Morning, honey." I said to Hiccup.
"Morning." He said and kissed me sweet, like every morning.
"Morning, Mom."
"Morning, sweetheart." Mara stood up and hugged me. At that moment, something special happened.

The baby kicked the first time. It was such a cute feeling. But only for me because it hit Mara right on the head. It surely didn't hurt, but she jumped up because of the shock.
"Mom! What was that?!" I just sighed and looked at Hiccup. He looked as much confused as Mara. I sat at the table.
"Guys, I have something to tell you. Mara, you just felt, I have something inside my belly. That's because I'm pregnant." I just said. Mara took my hand and squeezed it. Together we looked at Hiccup who's facial expression wasn't as happy as I thought. But he also didn't looked angry.
I don't know if telling them about the pregnancy was a good idea.
"Astrid..." Hiccup began.