14. The child

Astrid was pushing and screaming. Mara, who was in another room, heard her screaming. She was scared. Really scared. She has once lost a mom. And she didn't know if she could get through it if it happened again. Mara was lying in her bed with the little stuffed Stormfly in her arms. She cried. She heard all her Mom's screams.

Suddenly, all went silent and a little baby's crying filled her ears. Mara stood up and ran into her parents' room. There she saw her, lying in her bed with a baby in her arms.
"Mom?" Astrid saw her. She smiled at her first daughter. Mara came to their bed. Hiccup was on the bed beside Astrid. He hugged her shoulders, leaning his head on hers.
"Come here, sweetie." Astrid stretched out her arm to reach Mara. The little girl grabbed her Mom's hand. Astrid seemed to be tired. Very tired. Mara smiled at the baby in her mother's arms.
"You've got a little sister." Astrid said with a quiet voice.
"What's her name?" Mara asked.
"We thought you could name her." Hiccup said, petting her head.
"How about Paulina?" She suggested. Hiccup and Astrid nodded.
"Okay then. Her name is Paulina Haddock." Astrid said with a bright smile on her lips. Hiccup hugged her with one arm, and with the other, he hugged Mara. She giggled and leaned against her Dad's chest. So did her Mom.

Time passed by fast. Paulina was growing up so fast. But so did Mara, too. She was now eight and Paulina two years old. Paulina could speak with one year, but walk with about two. With Mara was the same thing, when they raised her.