Chapter 1

"Please...."

"Please... whoever..."

"Save her...."

The same desperate voice she keeps hearing in her dream. The owner of the voice is crying— sobbing her heart out.

"Dawn... my baby Dawn... please"

Dawn's gasp ripped through the pre-dawn stillness. She blinked, the sun's imminent arrival painting the sky with hints of gold. Sweat slicked her neck, a cold residue of the nightmare that had just surrendered its grip. Closing her eyes, she steadied her breath, the familiar question echoing in the chambers of her mind: "What does it mean? Why this, year after year?"

"Dawn, my dear, I am going to the restaurant to work again. Your father already left" A woman's voice called out to her gently.

Glancing to her right, she spotted her mother standing in the doorway. She returned the soft smile and expressed her good wishes, bidding her farewell. Her mom smiled back, observing her daughter's condition. Despite her disheveled hair, her smile remained triumphant, and she appeared as beautiful as always—just like her name, Dawn.

"Do whatever you want throughout the day but don't go looking for jobs, okay? There are some creeps out there" Dawn's mother shuddered.

Dawn playfully rolled her eyes. "Mom, I really want to assist you and dad. It just doesn't feel right that you both work so hard while I'm here doing nothing. Besides, I'm already 23 and feeling bored staying home," she pleaded with her mom.

Her mom chuckled softly and shook her head. "You're not familiar with the people in this kingdom, my dear. I don't want my beautiful daughter dealing with certain individuals," her mother cooed, prompting a whine from Dawn.

"But Mom, I genuinely want to help. Pretty please?" Dawn pouted and widened her eyes, batting her lashes in an attempt to appear cute and sway her mother's decision. Normally, her mom would leave when she pulled this face, but this time, her mother sighed, conceding defeat and hanging her head.

"Well, she is 23 now" her mother thought to herself.

"Okay, fine," her mother relented, closing her eyes and slumping her shoulders.

Meanwhile Dawn squealed and clapped her hands together and ran towards her mother. "Thank you, Mom. So much" She sighed happily.

"Okay. Okay. It really does seem you're bored hmm? Now, just be careful. If you are going to look for a job, start with a bakery with a kind owner. I think that's the safest option"

"Got it, Mom. Take care again!"

"You take care"

Dawn clutched the strap of her brown shoulder bag that consists of small amounts of money and her grimoire while her eyes scanned for any shop that has a sign of "HELP WANTED" or "HIRING".

After several hours of searching, the sky had turned a shade of orange, indicating the approaching sunset. The day was coming to a close. She sighed, hoping that the next place she visited would accept her. Until then, she had already been to two bakeries where she sensed kind owners, but they required baking skills, which she lacked. She refused to deceive them out of desperation, fearing she might set fire in their bakery if she claimed otherwise. Additionally, she had visited a jewelry shop, only to be promptly escorted out by the owner who judged her as "too poor" based on her clothing and suspected she might attempt theft. This treatment left her seething with anger.